PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 OS

dtc
19th July 2009, 04:24 PM
Hey all,

Yesterday I purchased a second hand iMac G4 800mhz (256mb RAM, 40gb HD). It's running Jaguar 10.2.8 very well. The previous user did not provide me with original install CDs. The purpose of this computer is for internet browsing, iTunes and simple excel speadsheets. Everything is working fine, except safari, which is slow and constantly lagging.

I'm wanting to know my Mac mini G4's OS install discs v10.4 can be used for a reformat. Also is this illegal? And will 10.4 run smoothly on the above specs.

Thanks

leon
19th July 2009, 04:27 PM
Hey all,

Yesterday I purchased a second hand iMac G4 800mhz (256mb RAM, 40gb HD). It's running Jaguar 10.2.8 very well. The previous user did not provide me with original install CDs. The purpose of this computer is for internet browsing, iTunes and simple excel speadsheets. Everything is working fine, except safari, which is slow and constantly lagging.

I'm wanting to know my Mac mini G4's OS install discs v10.4 can be used for a reformat. Also is this illegal? And will 10.4 run smoothly on the above specs.

Thanks

1) It is illegal to use your Mini DVD's to install 10.4 on your iMac.
2) The Mac Mini installation media will not work on the iMac anyway.
3) Tiger will run perfectly fine on your iMac once you upgrade the RAM. 1GB should be the maximum allowed.
4) Safari lagging is due to the low amount of RAM you have.

dtc
19th July 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks leon

I'm not quite sure if the Safari issue is due to my RAM. Heres some examples with what happens. Maybe you could help me out better.

Apple website, loads at decent speed but the website is missing some images and format is all over the shop.

News.com.au, safari loads banner and some images then crashes at 1-2mins. (getting the error message about safari quit unexpectedly)

eBay, home page loads correctly but crashes when u attempt to search

Speedtest.net, page loads but missing centre flash image.

Google, full functional.

Maybe im missing some appication/plug in?

Running: Safari 1.0.3

Thanks again guys :)

ClockWork
19th July 2009, 06:24 PM
Jaguar is pretty old and in my view, it was a kind of experimental OS X version.

256MB is really pushing the limit in an OS X environment - minimum required is 768MB.

There are and have been many issues with Safari not loading images.

All in all, to make it do what you want it to do, you'll need to get hold of a Universal Installer of Tiger, get 768 to 1GB RAM... and possibly a larger Hard Drive.

The biggest problem here is that Jaguar is no longer supported.

Remy
19th July 2009, 07:12 PM
The biggest problem here is that Jaguar is no longer supported.

Yeah, you might want to consider a serious hardware (and thus, software) upgrade.

If you want Safari, iTunes and Excel to run smoothly, you need to at least upgrade your RAM and processor (to 1GB and 1GHz, respectively), then get hold of a copy of Leopard while it's still around (before October). You might want to upgrade your Hard Drive too.

Safari 1.0.3 is very old, and as time goes on, more and more websites won't work with your Mac, so it's definitely a good idea to upgrade your software as much as you can, at the very least.

Hope this helped and best of luck! :)

PowerPC
19th July 2009, 07:36 PM
I'll go with the others, and tell you to go for both a software and hardware upgrade. I have a G3/300 machine with Panther/10.3 installed, and even its Safari version chokes on so many pages, not rendering them correctly. It has issues with the age of the browser causing problems while also running out of RAM.

Moving to 1GB shouldn't be too expensive, as the RAM you need is old enough to be available freely second hand, but not so old it's scarce. iMac G4s do take one DIMM and one SODIMM however, so be aware of that.

10.4 would be the ideal OS for your machine.