PDA

View Full Version : My MacBook doesn't see Printer

jbrulz
19th July 2009, 11:53 AM
We just purchased a new Network Laser Printer, and well, the problem is my MacBook doesnt see it. All our windows and even the new Imac see it and can print to it, but when i go to add printer on my laptop, it doesnt see anything, even the printer that we have shared from the Imac on the laptop.
I'm stumped, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,

Mutters
19th July 2009, 02:11 PM
We just purchased a new Network Laser Printer, and well, the problem is my MacBook doesnt see it. All our windows and even the new Imac see it and can print to it, but when i go to add printer on my laptop, it doesnt see anything, even the printer that we have shared from the Imac on the laptop.
Thanks,

I had similar problems with my MBP and just gave up on it in the end.
It used to work, but after a couple of OS updates and no go, it was back to usb for me.

Having said that, I did find a program called Print Therapy - Google it.

From memory you can use it for a while unregistered.

Still haven't actually tried it - to scared of disappointment.

Maybe it might work for you.

mutters

Back2Bedlam
19th July 2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks,

Have you had a look in System Preferences/Security/Firewall

see if Printer sharing is in there

Also when in the Printers System Preference folder, and after you clicked add, have you looked through all the tabs at the top. Just found sometimes that helps.

jbrulz
21st July 2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks, I tried all that but nothing.
I just tried to print to the printer that was installed by being shared from the imac but not even that works now!
Does that narrow it down to the macbook?
I had a look in the firewall bit - there was nothing on printing in it, but i have no idea what im looking for so it meant nothing to me. < It was all working before!.

Thanks for your help.

jbrulz
21st July 2009, 03:14 PM
and mutters - i assume croyders is croydon? Im in chirny!

jbrulz
21st July 2009, 03:29 PM
IT WORKS!

I turned the firewall off and they show up!

Thank you all!!
i love my mac!

Back2Bedlam
21st July 2009, 10:36 PM
IT WORKS!

Thank you all!!
i love my mac!

in the print/fax preference pane, turn on printer sharing on both computers. Then look where the firewall is, and ensure printer sharing appears in both, then turn on the firewall.
Check that printer still works

Mutters
22nd July 2009, 04:56 PM
and mutters - i assume croyders is croydon? Im in chirny!

Yeah, that's it. Just down the road.

Wait, I think I hear the sound of an inkjet!?

mutters

jbrulz
25th July 2009, 12:20 PM
actually a laser, but still - IT WORKS!!

Mutters
28th July 2009, 09:30 PM
IT WORKS!

Thank you all!!
i love my mac!

Bloody hell - guess what! It works for me too!

Didn't do anything ( with firewalls etc. ), but realised I'd run out of usb ports, so I thought I'd give bonjour a go - and it works!

Must have been repaired in one of the 2nd point updates.

mutters

ada_lovelace
31st July 2009, 06:06 PM
Having a similar problem, but not with network printing. Suddenly all the printers have stopped showing up on my MBP. I'm pretty sure it's the fault of a MS Office update I just did. :(

I've tried repairing permissions, but that doesn't help. I would try using the Print Therapy program mentioned (actually Printer Setup Repair in its previous incarnation - I'm running Tiger) - but I already used it a while back for the same problem (successfully, I might add), and I'm past the 30-day trial period.

Any suggestions?