PDA

View Full Version : Buying From United States Refurbished Store

9uinn
18th July 2009, 04:21 PM
First I decided to buy from the Australian Refurb store. Then I realised the savings were ever more immense if I bought from the American Refurb store. But first I have the following questions:

1. Has anyone bought from the US Refurb Store before?
2. If yes,

a) how much was shipping?

b) how long did shipping take?

c) did you ever have trouble getting it fixed under warranty?

And finally,

d) are there any quirks in this method I should be warned about?

Thanks in advance!

decryption
18th July 2009, 04:32 PM
1. I haven't purchased before.
2. a - shipping will depend on the item, a MacBook will cost less than an iMac for example
b - most shipping services are no more than a week, unless you get a really cheapskate option
c - warranty should be worldwide, so there shouldn't be a problem
d - be wary of local sales tax - the person you ask in the USA to buy the item for you, will be charged sales tax for their state of residence. There will also be a duty applied when you import it to Australia if the AUS$ value is over $1,000.

Generally, you don't save much, maybe $100 or so, so the hassle isn't worth it. So do your sums and see for yourself.

dekco
18th July 2009, 05:09 PM
decryption pretty much summed it for you. not to mention if you are using a courier like DHL or FedEx, you might get stung with a "brokerage fee" (wipes out any savings you may have had)

St Cornelius
18th July 2009, 05:46 PM
most products you wont save allot on its not worth the possible things that could wrong and hassels.

unless its a macpro

9uinn
18th July 2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. Here's exactly how much I'd save:

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum $1,099.00 US (1,368.53 AUD)
Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (U.S.) (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB467LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw)
13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
2GB memory, 250GB hard drive

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum $ 1,799.00 AUD
Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB467X/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw)
13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
2GB memory, 250GB hard drive

Around $400 all up. Shipping and tax would probably half that saving. I think you're all pretty much right. The extra hassle is not worth the measly savings.

Trabb
18th July 2009, 11:22 PM
You won't be able to ship something from the US store directly to an Australian address though.

iJohn
19th July 2009, 09:29 AM
You won't be able to ship something from the US store directly to an Australian address though.

Hmm interesting you learn something new

iJohn
19th July 2009, 09:34 AM
I'm a bit confused

So if i was to live in America i am able to buy the for the same apple product for a cheaper price.

But if i was to live in australia and buy the same apple product(apart from the exchange rate) why is it so more expensive?

Is it cause of the local taxes in america you guys are talking bout

Cheers

Al Aero
19th July 2009, 09:39 AM
Its called the Apple Tax

iJohn
19th July 2009, 10:09 AM
what if i bought the same product off a ebay america seller?

lazydesi
19th July 2009, 12:58 PM
@the end, You won't save more than 200 on MB

dekco
19th July 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm a bit confused

So if i was to live in America i am able to buy the for the same apple product for a cheaper price.

But if i was to live in australia and buy the same apple product(apart from the exchange rate) why is it so more expensive?

Is it cause of the local taxes in america you guys are talking bout

Cheers
it could be called discriminatory pricing. trying to milk the consumer of every dollar possible.

take this example. rotatrim precision trimmers (google it), same product sold to two different industries (paper printing and photography supplies), in the same country, and there is a price difference of 15-20%.

Another example is your Nikon (or any other camera, regardless of origin). The same camera sold in HK for one price, but sold in AU for another.

Finally, that Rolex watch you have been eyeing at your dealer. Sold for one price in Oz, but another price in Switzerland, or even as close as NZ.

Taxes can play a part in determining your final price.

Huy
19th July 2009, 11:03 PM
Don't forget you'll get those American duckheads.

Not worth the hassle overall. Buy in Australia, get it fast. Return policy as well.

iJohn
20th July 2009, 03:39 PM
yeah bloody true!

Warthog
20th July 2009, 10:01 PM
what if i bought the same product off a ebay america seller?

I bought a Mac Pro off Ebay US and saved $1,300.00
You have to wach the exchange rate though.

SRG
20th July 2009, 10:12 PM
also note unlike Australia the US Store does not display the tax price. Something to remember also when you stand in US Apple store. This is calculated on a state by state basis and done at the register. As stated Apple US will not ship to an Australian address.