PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsule/WiFi Grief

Kuma
18th July 2009, 11:09 AM
So I just had to change ISP and have the new cable modem and so on.. everything is good.

Well almost...

running ethernet
Cable Modem ->
Time Capsule ->
1/ MBP
2/ PS3
3/ Apple TV

It is the WiFi that is not doing me any favours..
1/ iPhone
2/ MB

they get assigned an IP but they can't connect to the net.

Things I have tried.
Turning the WiFi on and off
Restarting TC
Restoring TC
Creating a new network

I think my problem comes down to my connection sharing
http://img.skitch.com/20090718-dghi8dadn9f8jchw9e5ci1cud1.jpg

If I change it though.. the ethernet connections break.

Any ideas...
thanks

Babbage
19th July 2009, 09:09 AM
Hi Kuma,

I'm guessing you weren't previously on a cable connection?

Who are you now with?

This sounds likely that your new ISP has a different network setup to previously. You may not be able to have it the same as previously.

From your screen grabs, your Cable Modem is acting as the DHCP server in your setup. This means that the Airport cannot also do this, at least not on the same subnet. This gets ugly, so for the time being we'll draw a veil over.

If possible, you should get the Cable Modem (not AirPort) to work in Bridge Mode. This will allow Airport to do the DHCP stuff again.

Looking at your settings above, I'm not entirely convinced any of those settings is entirely right for what you wish to achieve. Please advise your ISP and info they sent you for set up and we'll get you running right.

Cheers.

BAMBI
19th July 2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Kuma,

I'm guessing you weren't previously on a cable connection?

Who are you now with?

This sounds likely that your new ISP has a different network setup to previously. You may not be able to have it the same as previously.

From your screen grabs, your Cable Modem is acting as the DHCP server in your setup. This means that the Airport cannot also do this, at least not on the same subnet. This gets ugly, so for the time being we'll draw a veil over.

If possible, you should get the Cable Modem (not AirPort) to work in Bridge Mode. This will allow Airport to do the DHCP stuff again.

Looking at your settings above, I'm not entirely convinced any of those settings is entirely right for what you wish to achieve. Please advise your ISP and info they sent you for set up and we'll get you running right.

Cheers.

I originally set up my network with the Time Capsule driving it and the ADSL modem/router in Bridge mode. After difficulties in getting it to work, the advice from Apple tech support was to let the ADSL modem run the domestics and set the TC to Bridge mode. It's works perfectly for my setup.

What are the pros/cons of either bit of kit in Bridge mode?

Babbage
19th July 2009, 12:17 PM
If it works, then all good.

Difficulties like you experienced often arise when the *modem* is bridged because many modems use the same IP range as the default AP range 10.x.x.x so by changing the Airport DHCP range to 192.168.x.x the problem goes. It took me a while to figure that out.

If bridging the Airport works for you then there is likely no need to change it.

Using Airport to do the routing gives the advantage of simpler control interface for all network functions, which is significant.

Kuma
19th July 2009, 06:46 PM
So I have spoken to my ISP and they have told me that I need to put the Time Capsule into Router Mode...

which of course I don't see...

my options are
share a public IP
distrubte a range of IPs
and Bridge mode...

what is router mode? can the TC do it? My ISP have said that if there is no router mode I will have to buy a router.

Lutze
19th July 2009, 07:39 PM
So I have spoken to my ISP and they have told me that I need to put the Time Capsule into Router Mode...

which of course I don't see...

my options are
share a public IP
distrubte a range of IPs
and Bridge mode...

what is router mode? can the TC do it? My ISP have said that if there is no router mode I will have to buy a router.

Distribute a range of IP's is Router mode.

If you have all your ethernet gear plugged into the TC and your wireless is provided by the TC as well then all the devices will be on the same network.

(ps. good to see you around on here again)

Aladdin
19th July 2009, 07:51 PM
Time Capsule is able to function as a router. This is when you tell it to 'share a public IP address', but you'll need to check with your ISP how to connect to its server (with ADSL, it's usually PPPoE, but not sure about cable).

This assumes that your cable modem is functioning in bridged mode (i.e. just pass the signal along to the Time Capsule, thanks very much).

However, our screenshot in Post #1 implies your cable modem is doing the routing (i.e. managing the connection to your ISP) as you are able to connect to the internet.

I wonder whether it is the Time Capsule's wi-fi setup that is the problem? What are your settings in the 'Airport' tab of Airport Utility?

Kuma
19th July 2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the PS Lutze

I have spoken to the ISP..

they made a change in the cable modem... and bingo WiFi worked.. for 1 thing only - my computer.

Now my ethernet doesn't work at all... so I am in a worse situation than I was.

bastards!!

I suspect that their modem has a lot of power and they aren't giving me the permissions I need...

I have tried the other sharing modes and it breaks my internet.

I will be calling Apple support tomorrow..

but if there are any other ideas.. I would appreciate it.

Lutze
19th July 2009, 11:31 PM
Having worked for a cable ISP I should be able to help.

But I guess it depends a lot on how they configure things over there. Our modems had a built in dhcp server that meant you could run your tc in bridge mode and the modem does all the ip allocations.

More than happy to give you a hand if I can.

Babbage
20th July 2009, 01:07 AM
Kuma,

Can you give us the settings your ISP gave you, so we can decipher them.

Cut and paste from their install email if need be.

Cheers.

Kuma
20th July 2009, 07:56 PM
I appreciate the help guys...

After another lengthy discussion with the ISP they seem to have decided that my TimeCapsule is stuck in static mode.. I have to turn this off, the router has to accept a global ip address

(whatever that means)

they technicians seem pretty happy when the router is in share single ip mode. (they say that when Im in distribute mode Im in the wrong mode.

Aladdin
20th July 2009, 09:11 PM
If Time Capsule has to accept a global ip address, then I assume the cable modem is in bridged mode.

This means Time Capsule needs to perform the internet connection (login details) with your ISP, and also function as a router (which should be set to 'share a single ip address' option).

Have no idea what 'static mode' is.

Babbage
20th July 2009, 09:37 PM
And the settings they gave you?

Kuma
20th July 2009, 09:41 PM
And the settings they gave you?

they haven't given me any settings... it is (I get the impression) meant to be plug n play...

Babbage
20th July 2009, 10:01 PM
OK.

In that case, you need to ask them of you connect using PPPoE or using DHCP.

Kuma
20th July 2009, 11:29 PM
that answer I do have..
dhcp

Babbage
20th July 2009, 11:55 PM
What IP (first two figs only, rest can be x!)
Any other info?

Kuma
22nd July 2009, 11:42 AM
UN BE LIVEABLE!! I just spoke to Apple - instead of powering off/on the Time Capsule.. the trick was to hit the reset button.. now I have internets back in my home.

thanks all for the assist.