PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Games to Pass Time on Flight

woody993
17th July 2009, 10:57 PM
I sort of left this to the last minute, but I am going on a short trip up north from Perth tomorrow morning and am looking for some games to pass the time. I already have Flight Control, Toki Tori, Peggle (which I've finished adventure mode), Crayon Physics (bit of a disappointment especially when it was $6).

mitty
17th July 2009, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure playing Flight Control on a plane is such a great idea. You just never know when some weird gremlin may stuff things up.

The_Hawk
17th July 2009, 11:12 PM
I just saw Golden Axe is available :)

Other options are catch up on podcasts... or better yet SLEEP!

Plan C: Movies/TV Shows.

Oh... for the record, the short flights I have been on before won't let you turn stuff on till they reach altitude which means part of the flight is lost while waiting to be able to switch on, then some more when they get ready to land. Silly that you can't listed to your MP3 player while they are taking off and landing, but here we are.

DJY
17th July 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure playing Flight Control on a plane is such a great idea. You just never know when some weird gremlin may stuff things up.

It is my number 1 game - and I spend a lot of times one planes!!!!
I think I average just over a 100 flights a year...
and generally stick to:
Flight Control, Solitaire City, and Touch4 these days.

I still have
Paper Toss, FS5 Hockey (Air Hockey), SkiJump Lite, Moonlight lite (Mahjong game), and BK Run Lite - speed game of multiple Blackjack games.

Always put a couple of TV shows on there as well - not movies any more - as I find I want different things to fill smaller chunks of time with...

and of course some new music + some reliable favourites to pass the time as well.

woody993
17th July 2009, 11:17 PM
I just saw Golden Axe is available :)

Other options are catch up on podcasts... or better yet SLEEP!

Plan C: Movies/TV Shows.

Oh... for the record, the short flights I have been on before won't let you turn stuff on till they reach altitude which means part of the flight is lost while waiting to be able to switch on, then some more when they get ready to land. Silly that you can't listed to your MP3 player while they are taking off and landing, but here we are.
Podcasts: listened to all of them
Movies/TV Shows: watched all
Sleep: will have just woken up

Going to check out Golden Axe now

woody993
17th July 2009, 11:19 PM
Thinking about Rolando2 it is a good excuse to purchase it

mitty
17th July 2009, 11:19 PM
I'd like some airline to take up a plane full of operational electronic equipment and see if it has any effect whatsoever on the operation of the aircraft.

Goodbye
17th July 2009, 11:27 PM
I'd like some airline to take up a plane full of operational electronic equipment and see if it has any effect whatsoever on the operation of the aircraft.

They don't.

One of the main reasons they stop you from using your electronic equipment in the ascent/descent phase is the distraction it causes. Takeoff and landing are the two most hazardous parts of a flight, and they don't want you missing some vital information because you're playing flight control on your iPod Touch while listening to ABBA through your headphones.

woody993
17th July 2009, 11:42 PM
If it's a distraction then how come there is airline mode?

DJY
17th July 2009, 11:55 PM
They don't.

One of the main reasons they stop you from using your electronic equipment in the ascent/descent phase is the distraction it causes. Takeoff and landing are the two most hazardous parts of a flight, and they don't want you missing some vital information because you're playing flight control on your iPod Touch while listening to ABBA through your headphones.

This is indeed correct.
Airplane mode allows you during the safer aspects of the flight to use a range of devices. The only reason you can still hear music or watch TV via the provided entertainment system is they can kill that instantly.

With people on their own MP3 / iPods / iPhones they can't...
and with many really good headphones / ear canal phones / noise canceling head sets - if you were playing music you might NEVER hear their warnings, or emergency requirements.

leon
18th July 2009, 12:01 AM
Wolfenstein is great to pass an hour. So is Sally's Spa and Sally's Salon.

gareth
18th July 2009, 12:11 AM
harbour master, drawrace

mc cool
18th July 2009, 12:17 AM
I got addicted to worms on my flight back from dempasar on thursday :/

insular
18th July 2009, 12:40 AM

airforce one?

3dward_Shaddow
18th July 2009, 12:41 AM
I <3 Katamari, I just wasted half an hour playing it :)

banjo
18th July 2009, 09:29 AM
Worms!

wabbit
18th July 2009, 09:31 AM
Uniwar should be on the list :)

eaglesteve2
18th July 2009, 12:38 PM
Tap Tap.

But I think you should be worrying about your battery more than anything else if it is a long flight.

iFanboy
18th July 2009, 05:14 PM
Buy yourself one of those portable battery packs and pickup Fieldrunners and Real Racing

Aladdin
18th July 2009, 10:21 PM
Uniwar should be on the list :)

Yup - Uniwar is great. Takes forever to complete, too.

Also, Airport Mania, Lumen, Enigmo, UnBlockMe.

The other apps I own have been mentioned previously.

Dux
18th July 2009, 10:24 PM
Sim City

dotnet
19th July 2009, 01:16 AM
You could put a few episodes of Air Crash Investigations on the iPhone ;) That show always entertains...

Cheers
Steffen.

kyte
19th July 2009, 07:15 AM
Trism! I'm addicted to it. And Solebon Solitaire, the Scorpion game, drives me nutz

STK
19th July 2009, 09:48 AM

They can't. They tried to do it on mythbusters once and it's against the law to do it.

froggie
20th July 2009, 10:04 AM
You could support a poor Aussie developer and play Hexed (http://froggie.com.au/hexed) on the plane :). Although, I am a tiny bit biased and hopefully you will forgive the plug.

It's a unique match-3 puzzle game and iPhone Footprint were kind enough to do a review - Hexed Review (http://www.iphonefootprint.com/2009/07/froggies-new-exciting-match-3-puzzle-game-hexed-review/).

So far it just has your standard 'classic' mode, however. I have a new version with updated graphics and a 'timed' mode currently waiting to be approved, with Adventure and Puzzle modes coming soon :)

Dux
20th July 2009, 10:08 AM
Edge is another good one. Haven't tried it out myself, but I see it's popular.

Oh, also Myst if it has not already been mentioned. This one will definitely pass the time if you are into point-and-click puzzle adventures.

I've got my fingers crossed for Riven to get onto the iPhone.