PDA

View Full Version : Viruses protection

jimmy
23rd June 2004, 12:34 PM
Hey guys

My PC has been sold and i am returning to mac (12" ibook is on its way). I haven't used a mac since 1998 when I was 14, I have read through the swithching posts but still have a few questions.

-What do i do for virus protection?

-How do i connect to a PC network through a print server to acess shared resources?

-Are there any settings that need to be changed after i get it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers

Jimmy

Disko
23rd June 2004, 12:49 PM
Total number of viruses discovered for OS X: 0

As for the print question - i'm not sure, as i don't work with network printers.

nider
23rd June 2004, 12:52 PM
what kind of print server is it?

jimmy
23rd June 2004, 12:57 PM
It's a netgear cable /dsl prosafe firewall/print server model:FR114p

nider
23rd June 2004, 01:06 PM
to add the printer make sure you know the Queue name.

1. Go to /Applications/Utilities/ (Press Shift+Apple+U when in the Finder) then open Printer Setup Utility.
2. Click Add and choose IP Printing from the popup menu at the top of the sheet (sheet is the name of the slide down dialog on Mac OS X windows)
3. Choose LPD/LPR from the popup menu below the dividing line
4. Add the print servers IP address in the relevant field and the queue name if you have more than one printer
5. Choose the correct printer type from the popup menu at the bottom of the sheet.

jimmy
23rd June 2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks heaps for the help Disko and nider.

pipsqeek
29th June 2004, 06:10 PM
Even though there are no OS X virii (viruses) I use one anyway because I am connected to alot of PC based networks..friends as well as TAFE.

You can get an infected PC file, and you could transfer it to another PC. Not something I want to do seeing as I am the one my mates call when there is something wrong with thier PC's.

But for your own benfit, there is none. So don't worry.

Steve

jimmy
1st July 2004, 04:35 PM
4. Add the print servers IP address in the relevant field and the queue name if you have more than one printer

How do i find the Print servers IP adress (Sorry, I am a noob)

Cheers

jimmy

nider
2nd July 2004, 09:51 AM
the print server's IP address is the router's IP address, as the router is the print server right?

jimmy
2nd July 2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks Nider I can print now.