PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pda?

ifejer
30th June 2005, 12:55 PM
Hi,

do you know why Apple doesn't make iPods with the functionality that allows inputs while you are on the go?

Just wondering if there was a market for such a device or it is only me.

if

(a happy switcher with a Mac Mini)

Disko
30th June 2005, 01:00 PM
You mean like
http://users.on.net/~disko/newton.jpg

tommelbourne
30th June 2005, 01:04 PM
Apple is a company that prides itself on being an 'innovator', and as such develops many technologies and ideas that never see the light of day for one reason or another. Im sure Apple has some kind of device like this up its sleeve, an updated version of the Newton, but being such a secretive company none of us would have a clue about it until they actually release it. Yes, it would be a great idea, but waiting until the market is right for release or until the neccesary form factor can be achieved is just as high on Apple's agenda than pleasing its customers and fulfilling our desires to have new and innovative products. All you can do is hope that they decide to release a product like the one you are describing!

Currawong
30th June 2005, 08:07 PM
A PDA would be competing with Palm and PocketPC, a market in which there is no, or even negative profit. The Newton lost Apple a lot of money, they aren't about to tell shareholders they released a product because it was cool, and is losing them money.

yitzyf
30th June 2005, 08:18 PM
I reckon the iPod will slowly morph into a PDA of sorts. It already has many of the functions of a PDA - just needs a bigger screen, and some more applications! I had this idea for a while, that they should come up with an iPod that has a flip up cover - the cover has the click wheel on it, and a clear spot for the screen, then when you flip it up, there's a full Palm size screen in there showing some cut down version of OS X.....

You never know....