PDA

View Full Version : My Powerbook Is Failing

sillydog701
30th June 2005, 10:17 AM
Too bad, my PowerBook is failing. I saw the "S.M.A.R.T. Status: Failing" when I ran Disk Utilities.

http://ant.sillydog.org/blog/pic/diskutility_failing.jpg

the_OM
30th June 2005, 10:42 AM
what is s.m.a.r.t. status?
Is that the new thing where the powerbook detects a fall?

pipsqeek
30th June 2005, 11:42 AM
SMART has been around for a very long time.

Its only recently that people have really started to wake up to it.

Sorry to see the status of your drive dude.

:(

I hope you get it all backed up before things go south for good.

And get a new drive :)

happytimes

pipsqeek

yinyang
30th June 2005, 12:54 PM
that looks familiar...! :(

i had actually started backing up my files last tuesday when i realised things were not healthy, and it took me two days to get a paltry 25GB out of 65 GB copied onto my iPod before it went red and actually wouldn;t let me transfer any data!!

hopefully yours is still covered under a warranty. cos it would have cost me over $600 for a new 80Gb HDD (according to the reseller's pricing)!!

hawker
30th June 2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by yinyang@Jun 30 2005, 12:24 PM
hopefully yours is still covered under a warranty. cos it would have cost me over $600 for a new 80Gb HDD (according to the reseller's pricing)!!
I just had the same thing happen to me. My hard drive in the powerbook died, I knew it was coming though, because it started making grinding noises, when I took it into the apple reapirer, they ran tests on it for days, couldn't get it to fail. The other day it did. I put in Tiger, booted up when to disc utility, failed hard drive.

Just had a chat to a mate of mine at the Apple reseller - he said my hard drive got in today, should be ready today or tomorrow. YAY

And thankfully, warranty ;)

P.S. yinyang - you're being ripped off. You can get a 100GB HDD for like $390.

purana
30th June 2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by sillydog701@Jun 30 2005, 10:17 AM
Too bad, my PowerBook is failing.

What a cop out.. thought it was some big problem, only to find its not the powerbook at all.. merely your hard drive.

Without even looking at the SMART failure message in red, look at the filesystems in the left column, they show red. This is bad. But as you know the red failure message in SMART thing is a direct link to the red filesystems in left column.

Shame about the drive.. Book it in for a replacement ;)

Kildare
30th June 2005, 06:01 PM
It's not much good until you the the HDD replaced now is it? :rolleyes:

Not a direct comparision but my upgrade to a 60GB HDD in my iBook came in @ under $200. (including installation)

bergerac
30th June 2005, 06:24 PM
Same thing has happened with my iBook. Is the 'failing' message in Disk Utility enough to get your hard drive replaced under warrenty or does it have to fail completly? The hard drive has destroyed my directory structure once after a kernal panic but after repairing it with disk warrior it hasn't been causing any other problems apart from the message.

sillydog701
30th June 2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for replies guys.

The PowerBook is still under warranty (1 year and 1 month old). The HDD is the CTO 80GB HDD @5400rpm model.

The PowerBook was working perfectly, at least I haven't noticed any problem, besides the reporting of "failing". So I bought a new 200GB HDD for my PowerMac, and back up the entire HDD to it. I already sent the PowerBook to the retailer, and now enjoying my "no PowerBook days". It could take two to three weeks in total.

I hope you get it all backed up before things go south for good.Thanks. I have all data basked up, and .Mac comes really handy. I can access to all my AddressBook and Bookmarks when I am not with my Mac.

Is the 'failing' message in Disk Utility enough to get your hard drive replaced under warrenty or does it have to fail completly?The retail told me to back up all the data and they will send it to Apple for me.

sillydog701
8th July 2005, 10:43 PM
I got my PowerBook back today.

Apple replaced it with a new harddrive (same model). Now re-installing everything.

AppleCare Protection is good.

Ozi
9th July 2005, 11:20 AM
oooh thats pretty quick return! About a week. :)

I have the 3 year warranty and I agree: it is much like an assurance policy on a car. You might not need it, but if something goes wrong, it will be expensive to fix if you dont have cover! :D

LCGuy
9th July 2005, 11:35 AM
Ozi, do you mean insurance? ;)

Sorry, i just had to say that. ;)

Also, AppleCare really isn't like insurance. Unlike car insurance, which you have for the life of the car, AppleCare only lasts for a couple of years. On top of that, while car insurance will cover some damage, (like say, you get into a prang and its not your fault), AppleCare will not cover damage that was not caused by hardware failure. (Say, you drop your PowerBook down the stairs)