PDA

View Full Version : Help with wireless connection

todned
17th July 2009, 08:25 AM
I live in an avg apartment, that gives an idea of how big.
I have the dual band AirPort Extreme in study with AirPort Express in living room.

My MB is dropping out of the wireless connection when I'm in living room.

I used to have a linksys WAG54G and never had such issues.

I would've expected the Express will increase wireless coverage. Its wireless mode is set to "Extend a wireless network".

Could you guys give any tips on configuring Extreme &/ Express or ways to diagnose why the weak signal/dropouts?

Thanks

tarik328
17th July 2009, 09:41 AM
Hi,

Firstly make sure you are using WPA2 as a security protocol. Secondly i believe the wireless signal range is decreased when the express is set up to "extend a wireless network", i personally have the same set up as you however i have the "extend a wireless network" feature turned off and i have no problem with signal @ home.

Hope this helps :)

Tarik.

Babbage
17th July 2009, 10:09 AM
A couple of quick questions:
Do you need the extension provided by the Express?
Is the Express actually doing anything apart from being a repeater? (ie streaming music, driving a printer, games console, etc?)

I ask as if the answer is no both of the above, then simply don't use it...

If it is yes to one of them, then please advise the nature of extension or apps so that best solution can be advised.

What Tarik said about range decreasing is a possible scenario if you've used WDS ina small area.

todned
17th July 2009, 02:38 PM
From memory I am use WPA2 (will check when I get home tonite).

Printer is driven by Extreme in study.
I use Express to play iTunes music to the living room sounds system.
There used to be a macmini server in living room but it has died.
Oh and I have a Wii in living room.

I should test whether I can turn "extend a wireless network" off.
But if I turned that off then doesn't that mean I won't be able to stream music?
Also if it's turned off then what functionalities does the Express actually do?

When I had the linksys as the base I tried linksys in study room but it wouldn't cover living room. So when I got the Extreme, which had to stay in study, I also bought the Express thinking I would need it to cover living room, plus the bonus of streaming music.

Thanks for all your help.

todned
17th July 2009, 06:32 PM
just had a look. I'm use WPA2 Personal for Wireless Security

todned
18th July 2009, 02:24 PM
Just an update.

I turned Express Wireless mode to OFF and it worked well.
But I can't use AirTunes.

Now I'm using "Join a wireless network" as the wireless mode and so far it seems to be going well.