PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Quality!

Beau
16th July 2009, 10:08 PM
Hi folks!
I've been ripping my DVDs to MP4 so that I could watch them on my MacBook+iPhone, but I've just been using the stock standard 'iPhone' settings, and playing these videos full screen on my MacBook or another display is a little wanting.

So I was wondering; what do you all use for your handbrake settings that still plays on your iPhone? Or do you have two copies; a good desktop copy and a lower quality mobile copy?

- Beau

MrJesseRoss
16th July 2009, 10:17 PM
I rip music vids from DVD, and try to ensure compatibility with both the iPod touch and iPod classic. So I rip to a max resolution of 640x480, using the MP4 (FFMpeg) video format instead of H.264 because I find the conversion to be quicker. The picture's great on both iPods, but is only ok on the MacBook. I don't watch videos much on the MacBook anyway, so it's not really an issue for me.

Johnny Appleseed
16th July 2009, 10:26 PM
I use HandBrake's new Universal preset, which covers everything from iPod to Apple TV and preserves the full resolution. I have Decomb set to "default" so it picks up any interlacing.

ForwardSlash
16th July 2009, 10:29 PM
I'm still tweaking my own set up but I use the AppleTV preset with the sound set to stereo and the additional audio tracks removed gives me a nice filesize (about 1GB for a feature film) and good quality on my TV, PC, Mac & iPhone.

Not optimized for any particular device but a nice all-rounder, that said I'm always changing this and that to see what works.

Maximage
16th July 2009, 11:15 PM
"Universal" preset? Huh? Where? What?

Beau
16th July 2009, 11:26 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20090716-neu9q8n8yc5bc5x66enbgd6k6g.jpg

Beau
16th July 2009, 11:42 PM
So I encoded the first chapter (5mins) from a DVD I had already ripped to my MacBook using RipIt, using the 'AppleTV' preset with the stereo audio trick mentioned above, in addition to the 'Universal' preset. Both took 10-15minutes to encode, with the Universal one being slightly quicker.
The quality on both looks great, but haven't tried syncing it to my almost full iPhone 3G and playing it on there yet.
Filesize for the Universal encode was 120mb, with the Apple TV being 104mb. I'll try ripping using half goon's 640x480 settings tonight, as well as toggling between encoding in H.264 and MP4. FWIW, I find my MP4 encodes to be done much quicker than the H.264 settings, with no visible loss in quality. Not sure about power consumption though - anyone know much about this or got any links to sites to read?

Maximage
16th July 2009, 11:44 PM
I always use that drawer but only had iPod, AppleTV and iPhone, but thanks to that just found the update bit down the bottom after you posted. Sweet!

pengu
17th July 2009, 01:24 AM
It's highly unlikely straight MP4 will give the same quality as H.264. H.264 takes more time to encode, and needs more power to decode, but the iPhone has a hardware decoder so it shouldn't be an issue.

If the quality is the same, the filesize of a H.264 should be much lower.