PDA

View Full Version : Ibook Flickering Monitor

aaron_meredith
29th June 2005, 10:28 PM
Over the past few days this problem has just started to occur in my 8 Month old iBook G4.

When ever i look at the monitor, the screen flickers, like goes dim and back to normal. Some of these flicks are sudden, some last for a split second longer. During the say its really hard to notice, but can be still noticed when staring at the monitor. At night the problem seems worse and the flickering can get very annoying.

Has anyone else with a iBook or Powerbook had these problems, and if so what did you do about it? Did you just live with it? or have it looked at?

I have been trying to get in contact with Computers Now in Malvern and they seem to not give a rats about repairs.

Also in recent days i have been reading on this forum and others, that Apple Center Repairs have not taken care of profucts and dints, scrates and breakages have occured. Is it even a good idea to have my profuct looked at. if its going to come out of the shop looking 5 years older?

Any help would be Great

-Aaron

iMick
29th June 2005, 11:06 PM
I would recommend turning your auto screen brightness thingy off. I think it is the energy saver options in the sys preferences. I noticed the flickering with my 17"PB at work. Turned out it was the swaying shadows of the tree through the window affecting the auto brightness!!!

Worse case: check out the notes in the logic board replacement program.

http://www.apple.com/au/support/ibook/faq/

I think the program is for G3 iBooks only, but the same thing happened to the screen of my G3 iBook and it was replaced free pretty much straight away with no problem whatsoever. With mine the, flickering will get worse and then the screen went black. Lappy still accessable over network, just vidcard or somesuch borked.

Byrd
30th June 2005, 08:54 AM
It's possibly faulty cold cathode lighting in your iBook, is it sort of like a fluorescent tube flickering behind your screen? Either way, your machine is definately covered by the Apple logic board program, and I'd take it back (go in person and speak to a tech) to Computers Now.

JB

vonkas
30th June 2005, 10:26 AM
Consider this: (* see disclaimer at bottom): many iBooks fail with video problems after 1 to 3 years. The problem is with lack of effective heat dispersion from the ATI video chip which causes micro fractures in the main circuit board. This fault has been with iBooks from day one and has NOT been rectified in the current ones - not to my knowledge as I have not seen a statement from Apple. *

On the plus side, iBooks seem to be undaunted by being chucked around - I have seen many badly treated ones surviving fine until the (seemingly inevitable) first repair job due to above problem.

Some of Apple's repair personnel are not trained well enough to carry out the apparently difficult task of re-assembly. In the procedure the logic board gets replaced (the replacement part also carries the fault and thus has a limited lifetime). Often more troubles happen after the repair due to bad workmanship. *

All this is a pity - because the iBook is such a lovely concept.

Personally I am very displeased with Apple's approach to the iBook issue, they appear to opt for the "free" repair procedure (recently extended again - presumably to keep the issue out of the courts). *

*) All the above is of course only my opinion and based entirely on hearsay. I suggest if you want to know the truth just read Apple's sales website - they tell you all you need to know to make a purchase!

Peter Wells
30th June 2005, 11:27 AM
i've had the same problem, do you know how long it would take to repair?

i've been putting off repairing my optical drive for ages, but the screen thing is really annoying..

macmate
30th June 2005, 01:39 PM
will take anywhere from 2 day to 15 days depending on which repair centre you take it to and whether apple have the part in stock.

aaron_meredith
30th June 2005, 01:48 PM
So if could possibly be the Light tune inside the monitor? Is this the only part that will be replaced. or will they go ahead and do the full job eg. Logic Board.

Its sort of like a fluorescent tube flickering, but its a lot more constant and isnt as annoying. Its only a light flicker and i am even thinking is it worht the trouble...

Many people say that after a Logic Board replacement, the computer is worse off. and i really dont want my $2049 investment only 8 months ago to be something of a ongoing hastle. Also i dont want any cosmetic damage to occur, which i know is asking a lot as Techi Staff dont give a s*** what happens as long as they get paid.

purana
30th June 2005, 03:18 PM
I think from now on when I drop a machine off for repair, I will have a staff member go over it with me and confirm it has no marks etc. Then have them sign to the effect that they agree with me

So if it comes back with scratches, its clear who has made them.

But in the case of my wifes machine having all those gaps and stripped screw heads, that is not meant to happen and thus they are responsible that it is repaired and put back together which looks somewhat like it should. Stripped screw heads is a no no.

But hey if all parties agree its flawless, then come the unit coming out and marks can then without a doubt be put onto the store.

As it would come down to your words against them. And seriously its just not worth the hassle.

aaron_meredith
30th June 2005, 08:12 PM
Does the PMU have any control over backlighting? If it does would resettng the PRAM or PMU be a good option to try and fix the problem, or leave it up to the pros. I would perfer to use all the options i have before taking it in.

If Resetting the PRAM or PMU is a good idea, How do i go about it? I have read the Apple Doc and dont really understand it.. If it can be put into a few simple steps that would be great. What are the effects of a PRAM and PMU reset?

spilla
30th June 2005, 09:32 PM
with my iBook G3 earlier this year the screen's backlight would switch off whenever the lid was opened more than about 20 degrees...the only way i could see the screen was if looked really closely and only then i could barely see anyhting...but i took it into Next Byte in Adelaide, and they fixed it up and everything, i just don't remember what they said was wrong with it...but i don't know if this is the kind of problem that you are having.

aaron_meredith
4th July 2005, 08:31 PM
Just thought I would let you all know whats happening with my iBook in reagrds to the Screen Flickering Situation.

The iBook has gone in for repairs Today. The Service Tech said that this is not a common problem and they will look at it over the next 4 days and get back to me by Friday with what needs to be done if anything, and if any parts need to be orded in.

So i have no iBook, back to using a PC for the next few days. As this is my first real big purchase in life (Over $2000 as we all know) i am really not happy that i am away from it, and am really hoping that there is no damage done.

The Service Techies did look over the iBook before taking it out the back and noted any marks and scratches (One above the apple logo on front on iBook). So lets just hop this will not be a on going problem.