PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air Battery. Is this normal?

carlow1
16th July 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi all I've got a Rev A Macbook Air which I bought secondhand from one of my fellow MacTalkers 6 months ago. It works great and I absolutely love it, but I'm a little concerned about the battery.

Charging the battery takes about 6-7 hours for a full charge, but it only lasts about 2.5 hours before needing to be charged again. Is this normal for the Macbook Air? According to iStat the battery health is at 97% with only 30 cycles. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe. :)

Reubania
16th July 2009, 06:25 PM
Hi all I've got a Rev A Macbook Air which I bought secondhand from one of my fellow MacTalkers 6 months ago. It works great and I absolutely love it, but I'm a little concerned about the battery.

Charging the battery takes about 6-7 hours for a full charge, but it only lasts about 2.5 hours before needing to be charged again. Is this normal for the Macbook Air? According to iStat the battery health is at 97% with only 30 cycles. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe. :)

That's not normal. Mine usually takes 1.5 hours to fully charge and lasts anywhere between 2-3 hours (video watching) to 4 hours (just minimal processing).

There is a method Apple endorses to address the battery issue with a full battery discharge and charge cycle. I cannot remember it fully.

black painter
16th July 2009, 08:44 PM
I would say the battery is going. Try a week of running the battery all the way down from 100% till dead with screen at half power. See what happens after that, it might be time to see a apple store and get a new battery. Rev A should still be under warrenty.

Huy
16th July 2009, 08:56 PM
My gf has a Rev A MBA and it also says "x" hours to charge. Once I saw it say something like 9 hours.

But in reality, I think it's just the reading being incorrect. It fully charged in a few hours.

So my take on it is that it is not accurate that's all.

97% sounds good to me. I would suggest a calibration (Google this). Also remember the MBA has a tiny charger which takes longer to charge, especially the last 20%. The first 80% is pretty fast.