PDA

View Full Version : second hand 17"MBP batteries?

black_nail
16th July 2009, 01:00 AM
So i need to get a new battery for my MBP17 after my current battery began swelling.. it has swelled so bad that its whole facade has popped out and it looks severely pregnant.

though i am no longer under warranty, i assumed apple would replace it for free as it seems a pretty unsafe thing to happen.. and according to many commenters on engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/21/swollen-batteries-affecting-17-inch-macbook-pros-too/) , apple have done this many times as it is a known issue. (btw, mine is WAY more swallen than the one on the pic in the engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/21/swollen-batteries-affecting-17-inch-macbook-pros-too/) post!)

anyway, apple refused to replace mine. the store told me to call apple-care, and apple-care told me that this is just what happens to older batteries! (lol)

so yeah.. i dont want to spend $200 on a new battery! anyone know where i could pick up a used one so i could save some $$?

(luckily the mbp still works with the cord plugged in, but magsafe can be VERY annoying when mains power is your only power source!) ironic.

iCarllovesapple
16th July 2009, 01:14 AM
No No No No. You are NOT going to buy a new battery. You are going to call Apple, ask to speak to customer relations then demand a replacement. This is pathetic service! Be nice, you generally get your way easier :)

black_nail
16th July 2009, 01:29 AM
hmm customer relations? how the hell can i contact them!? can't find them on the Apple Contact Us page (http://www.apple.com/au/contact/)

and yeah.. i was nice the first time.. i was nice but also very persistent that the guy confirm with his supervisor after he told me 'no' - cause i really think they should replace it.... especially considering they have many times before

nightelves
16th July 2009, 05:14 PM
I purchased a second battery for my macbook pro on Ebay for $104 including postage and was brand new as well and authentic. PM if you're still interested and I'll pass you onto the seller to see if she has anymore.

iCarllovesapple
16th July 2009, 11:03 PM
Talk to Tech Support. If they say no, talk to a senior tech support agent then if they say no request to speak with Customer Relations. If they say no tell them you'll take it to the next level, which you actually should do! THIS NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. This is a very dangerous situation! The batteries were faulty! Boy oh boy, if customer relations don't fix the issue, give me the serial number and I'll try. They always say yes to me, because I am nice, but firm when I need to be. Before you place any type of 'threat' tell them that you remember back in '06&'07 when all of the tech websites were blogging about the issue. Even through in some links!
Good luck!

black_nail
17th July 2009, 12:51 AM
Yeh it was tech support i spoke with last time.. but i'll try again.

thanks

dotnet
17th July 2009, 01:23 AM
Seeing that you are in Sydney I'd say make a genius appointment at the Apple Store and take your MBP there. That's exactly what I did a few weeks ago with my wife's Mac. She had still AppleCare on it but the genius said they would have replaced the battery for free in any case, given the shape it was in. They'll boot some battery diagnostic tool from a - no, not USB stick! - iPod and ascertain that the battery is faulty, not tampered with etc. They kept my 2.5 year old bulging battery and I walked away with a brand new one.

Cheers
Steffen.

black_nail
17th July 2009, 04:46 AM
Seeing that you are in Sydney I'd say make a genius appointment at the Apple Store and take your MBP there. That's exactly what I did a few weeks ago with my wife's Mac. She had still AppleCare on it but the genius said they would have replaced the battery for free in any case, given the shape it was in. They'll boot some battery diagnostic tool from a - no, not USB stick! - iPod and ascertain that the battery is faulty, not tampered with etc. They kept my 2.5 year old bulging battery and I walked away with a brand new one.

Cheers
Steffen.

GREAT! i'll do that for sure.
thanks for the advice.

black_nail
17th July 2009, 08:14 AM
Incase i have no luck and do need to purchase one, i found some much cheaper on ebay.. Not a genuine Apple product, but meh.. i don't care

Battery For Apple 17-inch MacBook Pro A1189 MA458J/A - eBay Batteries, Accessories, Parts, Apple, Computers. (end time 17-Jul-09 19:34:41 AEST) (http://tinyurl.com/nwxb25)