PDA

View Full Version : Optus 'yes'G / Dual Band vs GSM Coverage Question

luke_in_tas
15th July 2009, 09:29 PM
Can anyone tell me whether Optus have 2G GSM coverage in all areas serviced by their 900MHz 3G service ('yes'G / Dual Band)?

Looking at their site I can't seem to find a straight answer. Obviously to get 3G coverage outside 2100MHz areas you have to have a device that supports 900MHz UMTS/HSPA, which the iPhone doesn't. But as the iPhone supports 900MHz GSM/GPRS, my question is, is this service provided on all the same towers that provide the 900MHz UTMS/HSPA service?

Checking out the coverage maps on their site I found a section that says "When in a Dual Band network area [i.e. 'yes'G], your call or data session may also access the GSM/GPRS network if your handset supports GSM/GPRS 900MHz". Does this mean if you don't have a 900MHz capable 3G device that you will have GSM/GPRS coverage, or does it just mean there is an overlap in some areas?

asphotos
15th July 2009, 09:38 PM
umts 900Mhz "yes3G" is a different network to the exisitng 2G GSM network. as you have noted,

optus have a bigger yes3G (900Mhz 3g footprint) than their 2G GSM 900Mhz footprint. not all yes3G towers have GSM on them, and GSM suffers more from timing limitations (timing advance) Timing advance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_advance) + or - extended cell depending on the vendor. :)

*in tassie their is/will be a lot more yes3G than 2G gsm :)

time to go buy that nokia E75!

luke_in_tas
15th July 2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks. That's what I thought would be the case. Was hoping (but not optimistically) that their planned 'yes'G coverage on the east and west coasts meant there would also be future GSM/GPRS in those areas.

Trying to decide what to do when my Optus contract expires. GSM/GPRS not equaling 'yes'G coverage means, even with their planned expansion, Optus will have no greater coverage than Vodafone for iPhone users in Tas (and Vodafone has some national roaming with Telstra in Tas). Makes Vodafone an attractive option. But then again, for coverage outside major areas the only real option is Telstra...