PDA

View Full Version : Seeking new MBP 15" screen, best deal?

SamuelJR
15th July 2009, 06:28 PM
Hello everybody,
I have had a Mac Book Pro nearly three years. Didn't get extended care and my screen has flaked out. I was not sure at first if it might be the logic board, but attatching to an external screen fixed the problem, so... must be the screen. Different mac technicians have been giving me differing suggestions and messages, not exactly faith inspiring, so I am unsure how to proceed. One mentioned a replacement screen cost is $400-$500, plus $300 for labour. The first guy mentioned more like $1000, and because of the mixed messages I am filled with doubts about this solving the problem outright.
For a $2500 machine I am uncertain about the effort required for the exercise, but I really like the idea of salvaging my old machine. I hear the systems have come a long way in the past three years.
Can anyone suggest a simple, clear path to replacing a 1440x900 resolution screen for a 2.16 GHz intel core duo processor MBP.
I have an ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card but am fairly sure that is not the problem.
The $1300+ I might save would make a big difference to my life.

Anyone? With their finger on the pulse?

:) Sam

leon
15th July 2009, 07:27 PM
Purchase from somewhere like here LCD Replacements - MacBook Pro LCD Replacements - MacBook Pro 15.4" Original Core Duo LCD Panels - MacFixit Australia Store (http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=135&sort_by=price&sort_order=low) then give it a go yourself.

What you will need to confirm is whether or not the screen is actually buggered, or if it is simply the ribbon cable that connects it to the logicboard is loose/damaged.

If you shine a torch on the internal display whilst the machine is on, can you see a picture? It could be that only your backlights aren't working.