PDA

View Full Version : buy MBP duty free?

amnesia
15th July 2009, 01:53 PM
I am buying a new MBP I am going OS for a week Can I get my tax back on the MBP at the airport? Is there a limit to how much you can buy?

What is the aussie tax do you factor in 11%or 10%?

I have an iphone 32gig I am going to claim as well:-)

thanks

mitty
15th July 2009, 01:56 PM
Um, isn't there like a $1000 limit or something per passenger? I may be wrong.

Phillo
15th July 2009, 01:58 PM
I am buying a new MBP I am going OS for a week Can I get my tax back on the MBP at the airport? Is there a limit to how much you can buy?

What is the aussie tax do you factor in 11%or 10%?

AFAIK There isnt a limit to how much you buy.... However you MAY be required to pay GST on the goods when you COME BACK IN to the country on your return.

Check out the customs website for more info.

As for the GST component. GST is 10% of the price of the product... OR 1/11th of your purchase price.

EZYHD
15th July 2009, 02:40 PM

Two people $900 each combined limit is $1800.

Babbage
15th July 2009, 02:53 PM
Have done this myself. Very simple.
Rough criteria (from Customs) is:
Spend $300 (GST inclusive) or more in the one store and get a single tax invoice
Buy goods no more than 30 days before departure
Wear or carry the goods on board the aircraft or ship and present them along with your original tax invoice, passport and international boarding pass to a Customs Officer at a TRS facility (ie Sydney Airport)
They also won't let you claim within 30 mins of departure time.

You get the money back as a credit-card refund normally, or you can elect for a direct deposit or cheque.

Dead easy, especially by comparison to the overly-bureaucratic methods elsewhere.

Have a great trip.

Babbage
15th July 2009, 02:55 PM
To clarify,
There is no upper limit, but purchases over $1000 must have your name and address on them.
Operational air crew may not participate.
Obviously if you do this a lot for high value items, you'll be asked questions.

dekco
15th July 2009, 03:15 PM
only upon reentry to australia. keeping in mind, some countries are strict on what you bring in too (value wise).

incanspyder
15th July 2009, 04:02 PM
Alright. I've bought my MBP 2 weeks ago duty free. They paid back all GST at the GST Counter while departing, and I wasn't charged GST upon re-entering Australia a week later, probably because I made it look like it was my regular use laptop (which in fact it is). You must note that all purchases over $1000 need your full name and address upon the receipt of the store from which your purchased it. However, I did not know this but they still paid me the GST back saying that I should keep it in mind next time. Hope this helps!

Kevin
15th July 2009, 04:18 PM
Wow, first time I'd EVER heard about this, not a frequent OS traveller.

So I can go and buy ANY item from ANY store, and get the GST amount back if I travel within 30 days of the purchase???

BLINDER
15th July 2009, 04:37 PM
Spend $300 (GST inclusive) or more in the one store and get a single tax invoice

THe single tax invoice is very, very important.
I tried to do it w/ two pairs of shoes bought from the same store.
They had sep invoices.
The shoes were both under $300 ea but over when combined but because it wasn't on ONE COMBINED invoice I didn't get the gst back.

So I can go and buy ANY item from ANY store, and get the GST amount back if I travel within 30 days of the purchase???

Pretty much! But do read the fine print and any possible restrictions that might apply.
remember that you have to show customs the goods. They can't be hidden away in your luggage under the plane!

MrJesseRoss
15th July 2009, 04:57 PM
And it's probably only really worth getting GST back on stuff over $100 or so. I have a suspicion that you'd just anger the tax desk if you tried to claim off $5 pairs of socks or the magazine and gum you bought in the airport. :)

kevinnugent
15th July 2009, 06:34 PM

Short answer is yes. As long as it's overseas travel. I nearly always try and plan to purchase expensive travel stuff (like Nikon D90 etc) within 30 days prior to travelling overseas. It can be definately worth it. You do have to actually take the goods with you too .... so don't go trying this with a 50" plasma screen.

wolfie
15th July 2009, 07:39 PM
your supposed to declare it upon re entry and pay tax back, but treat it like you always had it, and they are none the wiser.

i did it with my mbp i bought 4 weeks ago, paid 3400 ( saved 300 off from the edu discount ) plus saved some 300 dollars from tax, def made me worth my time taking it with me o/s.

wolfie
15th July 2009, 07:40 PM
bear in mind your recepit over 900 must include the company abn, and your name and address details on it.

SaucyChick
16th July 2009, 10:13 AM
Does the apple store put your name and address on the receipt if you ask? Or I guess any retailer - I'm planning an OS trip early next year, and I plan on buying a DSLR, and possibly a MBP 13".

Kevin
16th July 2009, 10:29 AM
Ahh sweet, might buy some Canon L Series lenses before I go :D

dekco
16th July 2009, 11:42 AM
can you just take the laptop minus the box? and still claim the GST?

amnesia
16th July 2009, 01:27 PM
yes

kevinnugent
16th July 2009, 01:32 PM
Does the apple store put your name and address on the receipt if you ask? Or I guess any retailer - I'm planning an OS trip early next year, and I plan on buying a DSLR, and possibly a MBP 13".

Name and address is on the Tax Invoice, too, Saucy. Easy.

kevinnugent
16th July 2009, 01:32 PM
can you just take the laptop minus the box? and still claim the GST?

Yup. Don't need no stinkin' box.

kevinnugent
16th July 2009, 01:33 PM

Oh, and even hand-written receipts/invoices are OK. The guys at the TSR desk are pretty relaxed actually (surprisingly so).

jetsetkiwi
16th July 2009, 02:15 PM
Depending on your Airport of departure, I'd head through Immigration/Security quite early. When I did TRS for my MBP at SYD, the queue was huge and only had 15 minutes to spare before the 30 minute cutoff for refunds, or whatever the time was.

Phillo
16th July 2009, 03:01 PM

Purchases over $1000 are required to have your name and address details on their by law.

eron
16th July 2009, 09:28 PM
Don't forget to bring it in on hand-carry.

Only GST for bulky items that cannot be hand-carried can be claimed at the counter downstairs, before you go through the door.