PDA

View Full Version : Jailbroken phone running slow

implicity
15th July 2009, 08:23 AM
Hey,

Jailbroke my phone few weeks ago and it has been running a little sluggish since i jailbroke. For example: "Messages" takes a while to open and also changing the keyboard to landscape lags a little too. Maybe it's some application I've loaded but I've also noticed that battery life is a lot shorter than before jailbraking.

Anyone experience these issues too?

( i think cos i have percentile battery enabled it makes you SOOO much more paranoid how much battery is left and gone)

wmyeoh
15th July 2009, 08:52 AM
What phone have you got? What did you install? What method of jailbreaking did you use?

Little more info needed.

You might also want to see if there's something in this thread that helps. (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/57954-whats-cause-slow-downs-etc-jb.html)

mitty
15th July 2009, 09:13 AM
re battery life: have you got SSH installed? If it's installed, and activated, it chews through battery life. Best to leave it turned off unless you actually need it to transfer files to your phone. It's also a security risk, particularly if you're on public wifi networks :)

chrism238
15th July 2009, 09:21 AM
re battery life: have you got SSH installed? If it's installed, and activated, it chews through battery life. Best to leave it turned off unless you actually need it to transfer files to your phone. It's also a security risk, particularly if you're on public wifi networks :)Can you please explain how using ssh on public WiFi networks is a security risk, or how using ssh is a security risk at all?

implicity
15th July 2009, 09:23 AM
iPhone 3G. Jailbroken with redsn0w if i remember correctly. I do have SHH installed but it is switched off as I do understand the security risk it is. I don't think I have any Push apps. I have changed a few settings / deleted some application so i'll see how i go now.

EDIT: Could the theme become an issue. I'm using Pump theme with Five-column sand Five icon dock?

implicity
15th July 2009, 09:29 AM
Can you please explain how using ssh on public WiFi networks is a security risk, or how using ssh is a security risk at all?

If you were to leave it turned on and stupidly left the password as default anyone can SHH into your phone and change anything they want. I mean sure there is a limit to what they can do but still...

wmyeoh
15th July 2009, 10:08 AM
iPhone 3G. Jailbroken with redsn0w if i remember correctly. I do have SHH installed but it is switched off as I do understand the security risk it is. I don't think I have any Push apps. I have changed a few settings / deleted some application so i'll see how i go now.

EDIT: Could the theme become an issue. I'm using Pump theme with Five-column sand Five icon dock?

I've never tried it myself, but lots of other people have told me Winterboard is a killer for slowing down your system. Try getting rid of it and see if that helps. I generally found having less, rather than more, Cydia apps installed was the key.

implicity
15th July 2009, 10:13 AM
Yeah it's probably true but whats the point of Jailbreaking without WinterBoard. SBsettings of course but there arent too many other reasons. I'll see how i go though. Thanks.

(BTW: Who needs an iPhone 3GS to video record when you can make good quality videos with Cycorder. For a 2.0 megapixel camera it makes quite good videos)

wmyeoh
15th July 2009, 10:17 AM
SBSettings and BiteSMS's quick reply and compose were the two reasons for me.

The video quality on the 3G doesn't compare at all to that on the 3GS - have you seen the difference? I think Cycorder only takes video at 15fps max, which I agree is better than nothing, but it still doesn't compare to what the 3GS is capable of.

implicity
15th July 2009, 10:21 AM
Are you willing to spend that much on a new phone JUST to video record. I mean i think people with an iPhone 3G shouldn't have to upgrade but people with a first gen iPhone or don't even have an iPhone then probably they should get the 3GS otherwise I think it's not worth it.

wmyeoh
15th July 2009, 10:24 AM
I wasn't suggesting video recording was the main reason for upgrading from 3G => 3GS, in fact it probably doesn't get a look-in as far as I'm concerned.

All I'm saying is the video quality on the 3GS is head and shoulders above the 3G.

chrism238
15th July 2009, 10:42 AM
If you were to leave it turned on and stupidly left the password as default anyone can SHH into your phone and change anything they want. I mean sure there is a limit to what they can do but still...Then it is the use of a default password that is the security risk, not the use of ssh over a public WiFi network.

When discussing the technical aspects of security, it's particularly important to be pedantic and correct :)

noisypoppy
15th July 2009, 11:06 AM
I've got a monitor installed which allows me to monitor how much ram is free (at the top of the screen) I find if things start to slow down (usually after using safari or mail), I go to SBSettings -> Processes and there's usually something to kill which frees up a little memory

http://noisypoppy.net/random/iphone.png

implicity
15th July 2009, 11:11 AM
All I'm saying is the video quality on the 3GS is head and shoulders above the 3G.

But for the 3G to be OK video recording when it was never designed too, it can make an alright youtube video if necessary.

eaglesteve2
15th July 2009, 12:42 PM
Noisypoppy is right. You need to know what's going on as far as the health of the phone is concerned at all times. Therefore, it is critical that you install SBSetting and have visibility of your RAM availability at all times.

When the RAM is low, it may be because you have too many programs all running at the same time - Phone, browser, iPod, email, plus your current program. When you see the RAM figure going down rapidly, you should use SBSetting to terminate some of the other program, such as browser, iPod, and email (you can't terminate phone), and to also release memory with the same tool. When the memory available goes back up, your sluggishness will definitely go away.

Unlike 3GS, 3G's RAM is always going to be a factor causing sluggishness, jailbroken or not.

3GS is not just about video capturing. To most people, it is the speed and memory.

3GS is based on ARM Cortex 8 instead of 3G's ARM11. It is a far far more advanced processor. Read this article to gain more details on the difference in terms of performance difference.

AnandTech: Understanding the iPhone 3GS (http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3595&p=4)