PDA

View Full Version : Free Hotspots

forno
29th June 2005, 11:47 AM
Anyone know of a website that lists free hotspots around melbourne??

mvjs
29th June 2005, 01:15 PM
Just use one of the big Hotspot finders, like jiwire, and select free only. But to be honest , there arn't many free hotsopts in Melbourne

hawker
29th June 2005, 01:17 PM
You can always walk down the streets with your laptop open - scanning :P

Edit: I know how silly that sounds, but I found three unsecured wirless networks in the Darwin CBD on the weekend.

forno
29th June 2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Jun 29 2005, 01:17 PM
You can always walk down the streets with your laptop open - scanning :P

Edit: I know how silly that sounds, but I found three unsecured wirless networks in the Darwin CBD on the weekend.
LOL, found one in Preston at a mates on the weekend :D

Squozen
29th June 2005, 02:41 PM
There are at least 8-10 unsecured APs between my home and work. That's a 15 minute tram trip...

patcanuck
29th June 2005, 04:32 PM
I can attest to the availability of open hotspots in melbourne. I have had to make trips to Melbourne several times in the past month and decided to check the oft touted fact of open networks. Walked around with my laptop and used either AirStumble or iStumble. Sure there are lots that require you to pay in advance but patience is a virtue. I now have one I can rely on to check my mail, do my banking, etc AND it is right next to one of Melbourne's best chocolate spots!
:ph34r:

mac_man_luke
29th June 2005, 04:40 PM
When i was in the gold coast last year when driving through the CBD there were about 30 in a 1KM streach unprotected

zen
29th June 2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by patcanuck@Jun 29 2005, 04:32 PM
I can attest to the availability of open hotspots in melbourne. I have had to make trips to Melbourne several times in the past month and decided to check the oft touted fact of open networks. Walked around with my laptop and used either AirStumble or iStumble. Sure there are lots that require you to pay in advance but patience is a virtue. I now have one I can rely on to check my mail, do my banking, etc AND it is right next to one of Melbourne's best chocolate spots!
:ph34r:
care to share the exact location? :D

Kildare
29th June 2005, 06:57 PM
Can't you just go to Starbucks? :P
Have yet to go roaming with my iBook in Melbourne but from where I'm staying I can pick up a few others - all protected though.

hawker
30th June 2005, 08:21 AM
We should start a list of unsecure hot spots :P

Soap
30th June 2005, 12:11 PM
just thought i'd let you know i am quoting a job in Melbourne that i have to among other thing provide a Free access Hotspot. The management of this project want freeloaders to come and use the bandwidth, as it will be a selling point for the associated businesses that will share the space.

And its requirements will ensure high Speed connection at all times 24 hr a day.

iluvmymactoo
30th June 2005, 05:24 PM
Nothings free in Sydney <_<

mvjs
30th June 2005, 05:25 PM
I don&#39;t really think people do this - Buy internet --&#62; Give it out free. Unless there making money out of it e.g. Starbucks.

iBurst or Unwired are good services for Wireless broadband

spargo
30th June 2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jun 30 2005, 08:25 AM
I don&#39;t really think people do this - Buy internet --&#62; Give it out free. Unless there making money out of it e.g. Starbucks.

iBurst or Unwired are good services for Wireless broadband
:blink:

Of course they do this michaelvjsmyth, that&#39;s the whole point of this discussion...&#33;&#33;

Companies or businesses provide free access, and in return they attract the business of people like the topic starter who come in, sit down, and use the free access.. they probably then buy two café latté&#39;s while on the web.. these 2 coffees and the cake they also buy total say &#036;4 profit for the coffee shop or web café business - if the business owner is paying &#036;30 a month for the web access that he is &#39;giving away&#39;, then he only needs to attract the business of 8 laptop-using coffee drinkers every 4 weeks to cover costs.. makes sense to me because i guarantee he is going to get a lot more than 8&#33;&#33;

Do you see the point of giving away free access now?

Perhaps you should read the previous posts in the thread which discuss the issue of free access, before posting something that completely misses the points raised already by Soap and others..

(Note: all coffee/cake prices and profit/web prices are estimates only for the purposes of the post - please don&#39;t reply with a debate about the &#036; i stated)

mvjs
30th June 2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jun 30 2005, 05:25 PM
Unless there making money out of it e.g. Starbucks.
I thought I just said that, Starbucks do this as you explained more deeply. People come in use the internet, and then they buy a coffee

3dward_Shaddow
2nd July 2005, 09:06 PM
Just reading the latest Australian Macworld mag. and saw a review of a widget called JiWire. Apparently "it helps you find the nearest WiFi hotspot. Draws on a database of 63,400 hotspots in 99 countries (including Aust)" I don&#39;t have Tiger yet so can&#39;t try it out.
Enjoy.

Edit: spelling

hawker
4th July 2005, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Jun 30 2005, 04:54 PM
Nothings free in Sydney <_<
They must be somewhere.

Seriously though, we should mak a list up and post it here for as many cities as we can. Be an interesting exercise - anyone from admin agree?

A list of wireless hot spots that are legit ;)

House
5th July 2005, 05:38 AM
I have slashdot and boingboing in my RSS client and I remember a post in the last few months about a cafe that was doing the free internet thing. The interesting twist was when they turned it off on the weekend and found their sales rise substatially.

Seems as tho people don&#39;t really buy more coffee but just become cyber squatters. Also seems like they had a good cafe and the weekend geek fest kept many other patrons away.

I have nothing to add that&#39;s exactly on topic, but I thought it was relevant. The cafe idea is the most prevalent use of the &#39;free internet&#39; carrot, so I think it&#39;s time to find some other business models that can make it work (and better).

hawker
5th July 2005, 08:33 AM
Very interesting House (you didn&#39;t get your name from Police Academy did you :P)

Alot of public libraries provide cheap and even in some cases free internet access - since it is a local govt based - maybe they could be lobbied to install wireless access points. Be good for people who like to use the resources of a library and the internet all at the same time - without time limits on the use of the internet - an idea anyway...

3dward_Shaddow
5th July 2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Jul 5 2005, 08:33 AM
Alot of public libraries provide cheap and even in some cases free internet access - since it is a local govt based - maybe they could be lobbied to install wireless access points. Be good for people who like to use the resources of a library and the internet all at the same time - without time limits on the use of the internet - an idea anyway...
I wouldn&#39;t hold your breath about free WiFi in local libraries (esp Perth) I&#39;ve worked for a few and at the moment they are at the tech level of "What’s a USB drive?" This is a shame as libraries should be the forefront of technology and access to the public.

Unfortunately it’s the council not spending enough money on library resources and training. I remember reading in an ALIA journal that some of the really new (and expensive) eastern states based libraries not only have free WiFi but have cafe facilities too. I may have to move :P

hawker
5th July 2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 3dward_Shaddow@Jul 5 2005, 11:25 AM
I wouldn&#39;t hold your breath about free WiFi in local libraries (esp Perth) I&#39;ve worked for a few and at the moment they are at the tech level of "What’s a USB drive?"
That&#39;s WA - who cares :P

Most librarian&#39;s I know are super smart - infact, librarian&#39;s are called upon to do computer courses as a requirement for their cert.

Wheels
5th July 2005, 07:24 PM
Do you think it would be possible for us to start a list of all unsecured and free wireless hot spots across Aust?

mvjs
5th July 2005, 08:25 PM
Hay yeah&#33;

Good idea&#33;

And with a location based system - like a melbourne, sydney, adelaide ones, good idea wheels&#33;

spike@au
5th July 2005, 11:08 PM
the list sounds like a good idea wheels. Was wondering about free access myself a couple of weeks ago and cranked up the ibook on the train from Parliament station to out east on the Belgrave line and in 5 minutes travel found 7 sites, 2 of which had not protection, the only problem was that the train moved into and out of range so quickly was not able to get an IP address from them&#33;&#33;. Occasionaly fire up kismac on the ibook in my office in the CBD and see all sorts of networks pop up, none unsecured so far.......but the search goes on &#33;&#33; :ph34r:

hawker
5th July 2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by wheels8989@Jul 5 2005, 06:54 PM
Do you think it would be possible for us to start a list of all unsecured and free wireless hot spots across Aust?
what have i been saying for 95% of this post :blink:

Currawong
6th July 2005, 05:38 AM
You may find nodedb (http://nodedb.com/) useful in this.

mvjs
6th July 2005, 07:37 AM
Well if you live in one of the capitols - like Melbourne or Sydney, you should try iBurst or Unwired for a wireless broadband solution.

iBurst seems to be a good notebook choice.

mouse
8th July 2005, 05:16 PM
A man has been charged with stealing Wi-Fi signal. Police in the US have arrested a man for using someone else&#39;s wireless Internet network in one of the first criminal cases involving this fairly common practice.

See full story here (http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/07/wi.fi.theft.ap/index.html).

sidd
9th July 2005, 09:16 PM
i have watched a friends iburst connection in melb for abt a week and used it a couple of times. its very reliable in connectivity and the speeds are pretty nice. azure is another good provider in melbourne .

sidd--

Mac Aid
12th July 2005, 08:34 AM
As a tech, I see probably 80% of home or small businesses that put in a wireless network themselves, don&#39;t have any security. Worse still, they often don&#39;t even know it&#39;s a problem, and are horrified when I point out the dangers (before locking it up for them).

I had one client, in the days when bigpond charged for extra downloads on cable, who I set-up a secure wireless network for. When the husband bought a new PC, he turned security off so he could join it (couldn&#39;t work out how to otherwise). Their internet bill went from about &#036;60, to about &#036;500 a month, as everyone in thier appartment building was getting a free ride&#33;

If you do use an unsecured private network, you should realise that you are effectively steeling from that person, and just because they make it easy for you due to lack of knowledge, doesn&#39;t make it any better. You wouldn&#39;t walk into someones house, steel their silver, and then justify it by saying the door was unlocked. (of course this rant doesn&#39;t apply to cafe&#39;s etc that provide it to you free as a service)

From your own security perspective, you should make sure you are using a software firewall, and have a password on your user accounts if you are using even a legit unsecured network, as you never know who else is on the network with you&#33;