PDA

View Full Version : slow data transfer

nightelves
14th July 2009, 12:08 PM
Hi guys I just tried to transfer a 10gb file from my macbook pro to my external hard drive and it took over an hour. Transfer rate was about 2MB/s on leopard however on windows it transfer much faster at 4MB/s. Has anyone had this problem with their macbook? If so how did you resolve it.

Brains
14th July 2009, 06:26 PM
What sort of external drive? (brand, model / size)

nightelves
15th July 2009, 12:32 PM
Mybook Home Edition I think. The one with the usb and power adaptor 320gb.

Brains
15th July 2009, 02:41 PM
You may want to check if there's a firmware update -- I know some WD and Seagate pre-boxed drives exhibit an odd quirk where they will sleep themselves but then only work at USB 1.1 speed when they wake up, until they are power-cycled.

~Coxy
15th July 2009, 04:17 PM
If it's only going at 4MB/sec even in Windows then there's definitely something up with the drive. Follow Brains' advice and hopefully that will fix the issue.

OS X should be slower than Windows for transfers to a NTFS disk, but definitely not that slow.

nightelves
29th July 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm reviving this post of mine since I have recently had a chance to test my external on a windows pc. Tranferred an 8GB file took approx 13min and from external to macbook pro takes 1 hour. Is there a diagnostic I can run to test whether it's hardware issue or software issue? Apple is charging $75 for any software related issue and $0 for hardware. I want to be abosolutely sure it's hardware issue before I send it in for repairs. Any help would be much appreciated.

iCameron
29th July 2009, 02:14 PM
I had this the other day with a 16GB USB, turns out it was the NTFS driver...

Is it formatted at FAT or NTFS?

nightelves
29th July 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Cameron how would I check whether it's FAT or NTFS? I'm running a WD Mybook home edition. My format is in NTFS-3g (MacFuse)