PDA

View Full Version : Replacement power adaptors

jusrus
14th July 2009, 11:46 AM
DealExtreme Search: replacement AC adapter Apple (http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.317~search.replacement%20AC%20adapter%20A pple)

Pretty cheap option to have a spare I reckon - and I always seem to kill them before I kill the laptop.

decryption
14th July 2009, 11:51 AM
Nice find - just need an AU duckhead or lead and away you go.
I purchased an 85W one for my MBP and will let you know if it burns my house down.

$45-50 vs. $109 is a big difference!

wmyeoh
14th July 2009, 11:56 AM
I'm gonna ask the naive question here: I'm assuming these aren't genuine, and if so, what's the potential for damage to your machine?

forgie
14th July 2009, 11:58 AM
Judging by the pics, those are the "old" models, right? IIRC, some time in the last few years, the 85W MBP chargers got smaller....

decryption
14th July 2009, 12:06 PM
I'm gonna ask the naive question here: I'm assuming these aren't genuine, and if so, what's the potential for damage to your machine?

They sure as hell aren't genuine, haha

Damage to the machine though - I doubt it, but it could be possible if there's a fault in the production of these units (which is likely, look at em!). That said, Apple's aren't exactly high quality either. All the charging regulation and such is controlled by the Mac, so I don't really see why an issue would occur unless they're faulty/not-to-spec and I'm guessing, these are pretty much the same as what Apple make, just in a different case and with a different lead. Let's not forget, the genuine power adaptors are probably made in the same Chinese factories.

Judging by the pics, those are the "old" models, right? IIRC, some time in the last few years, the 85W MBP chargers got smaller....

Yeah, the 85W one that came with my MBP is big, the 2nd one I purchased (a legit one) was smaller, but still bigger than the 65W model.

For what I want to use it for (leaving it at my desk in the office, so I can have a floater unit in my bag), it doesn't matter how big it is.

jusrus
14th July 2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah, the 85W one that came with my MBP is big, the 2nd one I purchased (a legit one) was smaller, but still bigger than the 65W model.

For what I want to use it for (leaving it at my desk in the office, so I can have a floater unit in my bag), it doesn't matter how big it is.

I'd probably leave the official one at the office, and use the 3rd party as a floater.

My understanding is that for 13 and 15 inch MBs & MBPs that the adaptors are interchangable - am I wrong here?

Either way, I think I'm going one of the small ones.

wmyeoh
14th July 2009, 12:17 PM
I'd probably leave the official one at the office, and use the 3rd party as a floater.

My understanding is that for 13 and 15 inch MBs & MBPs that the adaptors are interchangable - am I wrong here?

Either way, I think I'm going one of the small ones.

You can use the 65W on the MBP, it just charges slower.

I bought a "genuine" one on eBay a while ago and I swear it charges slower than the one that came with my MBP. Having said that, the one from eBay was the old style boxier charger. Still, it cost 70 bucks from memory so can't complain.

jusrus
14th July 2009, 12:26 PM
Ordered 1 x 60 & 1 x 85 Magsafe & 1 x 65 iBook/PB. Fingers crossed on build quality, but as Decryption says, road spare only.

Brains
14th July 2009, 06:29 PM
A bit silly ordering from DX when you can get Apple-compliant powersupplies (non-MagSafe ones only, same as DX) from Sydney-based iBuyNow (http://www.ibuynow.com.au/adapter-info.php/apple+laptop-ac-adapter) for A$30-$45 including delivery, and have them on your doorstep in under 48 hours :)

(I've only mentioned these on the forums over a dozen times, if anyone actually bothers to use the search feature (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/search.php) :p)

(Oh, and for the curious, these aftermarket ones are no different to the Apple-supplied ones, the DX ones use Apple-style cases, the IBN ones are more traditional bricks, but the insides come from the same factory Apple get theirs from.

decryption
14th July 2009, 07:17 PM
Brains, DX sell MagSafe adaptors!