PDA

View Full Version : Push Email on Mail.app

drzeus
14th July 2009, 11:41 AM
I've signed up to mobile me and have push working just fine. BUT there is an annoyance.

I was previously using Gmail (and the Gmail notifier) which popped a nice notification whenever new email arrived. Now despite having Push with Mobile Me, it seems I must keep Mail.app running in the background to receive notification of a new email. Mail.app is a memory HOG so are there any alternatives?

Why couldn't Apple make the Mail icon light a badge (even with the app not running) to indicate a new email? That's what the iPhone does.

Would be interested if anyone has any tips.

banjo
14th July 2009, 05:37 PM
How is Mail.app a memory hog? With the main window closed mine is using just 38MB of RAM practically nothing.

Aladdin
14th July 2009, 10:04 PM
drzeus, welcome aboard MobileMe.

AFAIK, push MobileMe email only works on the iPhone.

MobileMe functions pretty much like an IMAP mail account on the Mac, though I think it is IDLE compliant (if you tick the box in Preferences > Accounts > Advanced tab).

You could always select 'every minute in Preferences > General > "Check for new mail" drop down box. Makes it 'almost' like push email.

I still always get the 'bing' on my iPhone before my Mac when a new message arrives.

Also, I agree with banjo - Mail is hardly a memory hog (48MB real memory on my iMac).

drzeus
15th July 2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks Aladdin and banjo :)

I'll let mail.app run in the background for a few days and see how the memory consumption goes. I was looking out for my poor little core duo mac mini as it's starting to show its age.

On another note, I quite like the push contacts/calendar/bookmarks on MobileMe. The ONLY thing I strongly want Apple to add is the ability to use your own domain. To get around it, at the moment I'm forwarding my domain to mobileme while setting the smtp server on my mac to send via my domain. Works well but not as integrated as I would like as the sent email is stored in the other account and you can't do it if sending via the web version of MobileMe.

dekco
8th September 2010, 03:42 PM
I've got push mail on my iphone and mail app; but for some reason, when i select "check message interval: manually", I dont seem to receive any emails on my mac at all.

Is there a setting I should be aware of? I've googled and tried every solution so far.

glacierdave
8th September 2010, 06:13 PM
On another note, I quite like the push contacts/calendar/bookmarks on MobileMe. The ONLY thing I strongly want Apple to add is the ability to use your own domain. To get around it, at the moment I'm forwarding my domain to mobileme while setting the smtp server on my mac to send via my domain. Works well but not as integrated as I would like as the sent email is stored in the other account and you can't do it if sending via the web version of MobileMe.

I've got MobileMe as the mainstay of my email across half a dozen domains. I can send email from each of those domains via MobileMe (including web interface).

How I set it all up is detailed here: Unifying your email with MobileMe - MacTalk Forums (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=91249)

It works very well for me.

I can't honestly say if it's truly push email on my Mac - I don't really care. I can wait 15 mins to read new email. It's pretty rare that I need email quicker than that.

icant
8th September 2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks Aladdin and banjo :)

I'll let mail.app run in the background for a few days and see how the memory consumption goes. I was looking out for my poor little core duo mac mini as it's starting to show its age.

Why do people do this?

I use mobileme for contacts/calendar/bookmarks syncing. And use my own domain with Google Apps for email.

Email on MobileMe, is IMHO a weak feature. Weak, relative to the other MobileMe features, and the other free email services out there. IMO, 2 etc.