PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Log in issues

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 01:40 AM
I bought my Macbook Pro 15" last 2007. Yesterday, I tried logging in and it brought me to the log in page then reverts back to the page where it asks for my log in name and password. Can anyone tell me what's wrong and how I can fix this problem?

EMKarelia
14th July 2009, 07:24 AM
did you buy it used? If so you might want to reinstall the whole system over again.

ClockWork
14th July 2009, 08:34 AM
Do you have the Mac OS X Installer Discs?
There should be two of them, grey in colour with small white text.

Kevin
14th July 2009, 09:34 AM
See if you can log in via Safe mode.

Hold down the shift then start the computer up, keep the shift held down.

If you can boot to safe mode, trash:
/library/startupitems, /library/caches, ~/library/caches

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 10:41 AM
i bought it new. When I log in my user name and password it doesn't shake like when you type your password wrong. It brings me to the interface for like 10 sec then goes back to the page where it asks username and password.

has anyone encountered this? I tried the safe mode, doesn't work....

sadly i have some important files stored in my laptop.

LennyX
14th July 2009, 10:51 AM
If you have access to another Mac and a firewire cable, you could try putting your MacBook Pro in target disk mode by holding down the 'T' key while turning your computer on and then connect your Mac to the other Mac via firewire.

Once you've done that you can get your important stuff off there and try deleting those files that Kevin suggested, cross your fingers & reboot.

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 10:56 AM
i dont have access to another mac unfortunately. if i go to a mac store how much will they charge?

i just tried using the installer discs but then my laptop spits it out and reverts back to the page asking for username and pw....im getting annoyed lol.

ClockWork
14th July 2009, 11:24 AM
Apologies - did not read last line of last post.

Insert the Mac OS X Installer Disc and hold down the MacBook's Power button for 6 seconds to shut it down.

Then start it up again with just the C key held down on your keyboard, and KEEP it held down until you see the grey Apple logo and the spinning mill beneath it. You can then let go.

This will boot it up off the OS X Installation Disc.

It first asks you for your native language, so just hit the return key on your keyboard for English.

Now completely ignore the Installation screen and click once on top menu item: Utilities - and then scroll down to: Reset Password...

In the Reset Password window, select your Hard Drive, then click on the User of this volume button - yourself - but do NOT select "System Administrator (root)", and then type in a New Password, and then re-enter that new Password.

Then click the Save button, and the OK button following that.

Next click on the top-left menu: Reset Password and scroll down to: Quit Reset Password.

Next, click once on top-left menu item: Installer and scroll down to: Quit Installer.

When prompted, click the Restart button.

Your MacBook will Restart and you should be able to log in with the new password you entered.

Often, I find that the safest way around this whole password issue, is to delete the Password in the Reset Password window, so that there is no Password.

cheers,

cw

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 11:32 AM
yes i have them...when i log in with my username and password, it brings me to the interface...i insert the installer disc and then my laptop spits it out and reverts to the page where it asks my username and password...

ClockWork
14th July 2009, 11:45 AM
apologies - see instructions above

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 01:16 PM
clockwork thanks for your time.

i did as u told me. i inserted the installer and shut down my laptop. I turned it on while pressing the "c" button. It took a while for the apple logo to show up but then my laptop spits out the disc....help plz

ClockWork
14th July 2009, 01:27 PM
What is written "exactly" on the Installer disc you inserted?

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 01:29 PM
macbook pro
mac os x install disc 1

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 01:34 PM
1.when i inserted the installer, i turned it off.

2. then i turned it back on with the "shift" key pressed until the apple and spinning wheel show up (it doesnt work with the "c" as you instructed)

3. then it spits out the disc for like 3 minutes and the page where it asks my username and password shows up (it says safe mode under the mac os x logo)

4. i typed my username and password..the goes to the interface but after 5 seconds reverts to the page asking for my username and pw.

ClockWork
14th July 2009, 01:47 PM
C key down with Installer Disc in, is the standard procedure to boot off the Installer disc and has been this way, since before OS X ever arrived on the Apple Mac scene.

Try:

Start up MacBook with: :cmd: Apple Command key + S key.
You'll get white text on a black back ground.
It will scroll on its own for a few seconds and end in: #root

Type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and press the return key.

The fsck repair command will go through five "phases" and then return with information about your Hard Drive's state. It will take at maximum, around 4 minutes. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK**

If fsck found issues and altered, repaired or fixed anything, it will display this message:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ***** Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in before until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK.

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type:

reboot

and then hit your return key again. It should restart normally.

See what happens and note down anything unusual that it comes up with, with a pencil and paper, and jot it back in here.

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 01:49 PM
i re-tried the steps as you instructed, and "c" worked...i was able to change the pw but when i restarted my laptop it did it again - it went back to the page where it asks my username and pw.

alexinboston
14th July 2009, 02:03 PM
it says the volume appears to be ok

Kevin
14th July 2009, 07:25 PM
Changing the password via installer disc often won't do anything if the screen does not shake, but loops back to the login screen.

Try what I said and let us know how you go.

ClockWork
15th July 2009, 07:38 AM
As it seems you definitely can boot off your Mac OS X Installer Disc - shown in your Post # 10, use the C key down instructions once again to boot your MacBook off the Mac OS X Installer and this time, follow what is known as an Archive and Install.

An Archive and Install reinstalls the Mac OS X Operating System, but keeps all your precious documents backed up - so it replaces the OS X System with a new fresh and uncorrupted one, but leaves everything else you created just as it was and intact.

1. Turn your MacBook on and insert the Mac OS X Installer Disc.

2. Hold down the Power button for 6 seconds to shut it down.

3. Press the Power button to start it up and immediately hold down only the C key on your keyboard, and keep it held down until you see the grey Apple logo and the grey spinning mill beneath it. You can then let go of the C key on your keyboard.

It will always take a little longer than normal to start up off the Installer Disc than it does to start up off the MacBook's Hard Drive.

4. The Select your Language screen will appear. Hit the return key on your keyboard.

5. The Welcome to Mac OS X Window appears. Click the Continue button. The Important Information window appears. Click the Continue button. Software License Agreement window appears - click the Continue button again. Agreement Sheet appears - click the Agree button.

The Select a Destination window appears. Click on the silver Hard Drive icon of your MacBook as the destination for installation.

Don't worry if the Hard Drive icon appears with a yellow triangular alert and exclamation mark on it, telling you, you cannot install Mac OS X on this volume etc etc.

6. Next, click on the lower Options... button, on that Installation window.
The installation options sheet appears.

7. Out of all the possible Installation options presented to you, click on the round radio button next to: Archive and Install, and click a tick into the Preserve Users and Network Settings box, directly beneath the Archive and Install option and then click the OK button.

The yellow alert triangle should now have been replaced with a green downwards arrow over the Hard Drive icon.

8. Click the Continue button again.

9. In the next window, click once on the lower Customize button.

10. Untick the Language Translations check box, if English is all you use.

11. Click once on the small grey toggling arrow next to: Printer Drivers and only have the Printers which you actually use, ticked. It's worth keeping the Guten Print checked though.

12. Then click the Install button. Installation will commence.
You can click the Skip button as it checks your DVD Installer, as this saves time, and allows it to continue with the Installation.

13. Installation may take some time, and once it's done, if you're not there, it will Restart it self. If you are there, click the Restart button.

14. On Restart, that problematic login window and return to login window should no longer be there to get in your way.

Your MacBook's content should be just as you left it, with everything onboard. The only things it will require will be new Software Updates of various Mac OS X System Updates.

cw

alexinboston
16th July 2009, 10:25 AM
it does not even let me go to the safe mode when i hold the c button. it loops back to the login screen

Kevin
16th July 2009, 10:27 AM
it does not even let me go to the safe mode when i hold the c button. it loops back to the login screen

Safe mode is Shift.

Installer is C.

Try and log into safe mode first before doing the Archive and Install.

ClockWork
16th July 2009, 10:36 AM
Clarification:

Booting in Safe Mode = holding down just the shift key on Restart.
Booting off the Mac OS X Installer Disc = holding down just the C key on Restart.

alexinboston
19th July 2009, 04:50 PM
I've tried to log in by holding down the C key but it just loops to the login page, it's the same thing when i login pressing down the shift key as kevin suggested.

alexinboston
19th July 2009, 04:54 PM
is this problem serious than just a login issue? if i reinstall (although i will lose valuable files) solve the problem? how do i reinstall?

alexinboston
19th July 2009, 05:34 PM
Ive read somewhere that this could be launch services cache corruption, i just need to get in the safe mode that kevin suggested. i've tried several times holding the shift down, but it brings me to the login page with the "safe mode" in red. it wont get me to that page where i can delete the corrupted cache.

ClockWork
19th July 2009, 05:38 PM
You can reinstall by inserting the Mac OS X Installer Disc and following the procedures outlined in Post # 8 (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/69168-macbook-pro-log-issues.html#post827419) of this thread using the Archive & Install method which won't erase your data, however, the feed back you're giving here is that the MacBook Pro won't boot off the Mac OS X Installer Disc at all - which only leaves three possibilities:

That the Mac OS X Installer Disc is not a correct version for your MacBook Pro.
That you aren't holding down the C key when restarting with the Mac OS X Installer Disc inside your MacBook.
That your SuperDrive isn't working.

However - your feed back is confusing, as at Post # 16 (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/827544-post16.html), according to you, you could restart off the Mac OS X Installer:

i re-tried the steps as you instructed, and "c" worked...i was able to change the pw but when i restarted my laptop it did it again - it went back to the page where it asks my username and pw.

If you can restart off the Mac OS X Installer Disc, then you can use the Archive and Install (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/828100-post19.html) method to reinstall Mac OS X, without erasing any of your documents.

Either you "can" restart off the Mac OS X Installer with the C key down, or you "can't".

Which is it Alex?

alexinboston
19th July 2009, 06:06 PM
before trying this steps, i want to hear feedback (kevin or clockwork):

1. turn it on holding down both apple command key and s
2. type "sudo -s
3. type "rm /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices*
4. type reboot

any thoughts before i proceed?

alexinboston
19th July 2009, 06:12 PM
I tried your Archive and Install steps but when I hold the C for a while there is a "question mark" that comes out and the installer cd is ejected. I tried pushing it back while keeping the C still down until the apple logo and the wheel spins. After waiting, it loops again to the login page.

alexinboston
19th July 2009, 06:13 PM
i think i have the correct installer discs

ClockWork
19th July 2009, 06:14 PM
My thoughts are as follows:

Never make anything too complex.
Give the laziest man the hardest job and he will find the fastest way through.

In other words, this is becoming overly complicated.
Answers have been given and you have chosen to create your own solution.

Do as you see fit.

alexinboston
19th July 2009, 06:18 PM
i just read about that solution clockwork, i haven't tried it. I am doing what you have laid out such as the "archive and install" process and also the "safe mode" suggested by kevin.

alexinboston
19th July 2009, 06:20 PM
im just frustrated why my laptop doesn't cooperate with the steps you suggested, I'm thinking it might be more serious.

ClockWork
19th July 2009, 06:27 PM
Then I'd suggest you take it into a certified Apple Repair Centre.

You're going nowhere very quickly.

Cheers,

cw

Kevin
19th July 2009, 07:45 PM
but it brings me to the login page with the "safe mode" in red. it wont get me to that page where i can delete the corrupted cache.

That's expected to happen. Did you try to login?

Once you log in you can delete /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.