PDA

View Full Version : copy everything from previous MBP to new MBP

amnesia
13th July 2009, 10:17 PM
hi folks

i am buying a new 17 Matte MBP and i want EVERYTHING from my previous MBP silver version 2008/09 model..

Will carbon copy really copy my entire system across, so i wont need to reinstall anything?

I just copy turn on the new MBP and its the same? IF SO EXCELLENT

kungfucamel
13th July 2009, 10:23 PM
use migration assistant? you may need to authorise applications like iTunes but in general I think it may be a better option. I'm guessing the build of OS X on your previous edition will be different from your new unibody.

amnesia
13th July 2009, 10:28 PM
older system 10.5.7 leopard so will be the same

Sebastianmonty
13th July 2009, 10:29 PM
If you use migration assistant you will need to install leopard updates after the migration has been done.
As you are buying brand new it will probably ship with 10.5.6 or possiby 10.5.7 but more likely not. So after the migration assistant has finished(leave it over night and use ethernet) you will just need to run software update.
The only thing is I always found my password wouldnt gain entry. Its a simple fix though. First try your password on your new mac and if it doesnt work just insert install disc and click on Utilities and there is password reset somewhere there.

Sebastianmonty
13th July 2009, 10:31 PM
older system 10.5.7 leopard so will be the same
I don't really know but I wouldnt clone the drive with carbon copy as the firmware is different between some things. The leopard install, then when it asks(should be when you turn the computer on) if you want to use migration assistant you just click yes, is much safer and then just run software update.

RustySpanner
13th July 2009, 10:59 PM
+1 for migration assistant
It really works!

janastas
13th July 2009, 11:02 PM
Does any one know how well migration assistant will work if I perform a clean install of mac os x on my current mbp?

I've got a super duper backup on my time capsule and would like to migrate the data back, I've moved a lot of large files on a regular basis and was wondering if a clean install followed by using migration assistant would make a difference.

ClockWork
13th July 2009, 11:03 PM
and then other times, it doesn't...

jusrus
14th July 2009, 12:16 AM
If it's been a little while between macs, I'd suggest just copying documents and reinstalling apps. A good cleanup is better than a holiday...

iCarllovesapple
14th July 2009, 12:40 PM
I've used Migration Assistant about 10 times moving things from this computer to that etc etc. I've never had any problems. Make sure you are using a Firewire 800 to Firewire 800 cable though. I moved over 230Gbs in about 1 hour and 10 minutes. I recommend it!

janastas
14th July 2009, 12:45 PM
I've used Migration Assistant about 10 times moving things from this computer to that etc etc. I've never had any problems. Make sure you are using a Firewire 800 to Firewire 800 cable though. I moved over 230Gbs in about 1 hour and 10 minutes. I recommend it!

Hmmm, that sounds like it could be a problem via the time capsule as there's no fire wire port.

I could always try a transfer via gigabit.

sleek881
14th July 2009, 05:59 PM
I sold my imac but before doing so did a final backup with Time Machine. Three weeks later bought a new Macbook Pro, then restored from Time Machine backup. Perfect result everything restored even desktop icons, apps, documents etc.

RustySpanner
14th July 2009, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, that sounds like it could be a problem via the time capsule as there's no fire wire port.

I could always try a transfer via gigabit.

Gigabit > FireWire

janastas
14th July 2009, 10:04 PM
Gigabit > FireWire

Crap! I just realised I've only got 100Mbit