PDA

View Full Version : 'Categorising' videos

Antares
13th July 2009, 12:09 AM
Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the right forum for this.. So sorry if I'm posting at the wrong place, but I've been wondering..

Well, I'm a fan of top gear and obviously I like putting their episodes into my iPhone.. Now, the problem is, everytime I put one of the episodes in, my iPhone just listed them in one big list.. together with all my movies.

So, is there any way that we can 'categorise' (or put them in folders, whatever) our videos? FYI my iPhone's jailbroken so there is always that option.

Cheers!

dotnet
13th July 2009, 02:03 AM
You can organise movies, like music, in playlists. You've got to set this up in iTunes and next time you sync your phone the playlists will be there.

Cheers
Steffen.

Antares
13th July 2009, 05:35 PM
Hmm yes but I'm looking for something to organise my 'video' section if you get what I mean... Thanks anyway!

dotnet
13th July 2009, 05:40 PM
Hmm yes but I'm looking for something to organise my 'video' section if you get what I mean.

I'm afraid I don't. All content of the iTunes library (video, audio, whatever) can be grouped into playlists, even smart playlists. What is that 'video' section you're referring to?

Cheers
Steffen.

Antares
13th July 2009, 08:33 PM
The one in my iPhone. You know, when you go to iPod, by default the things you see on the bottom are playlists, artists, songs videos and more.

I'm referring to that 'video' list. I know you can make playlists and they will appear on the 'playlists' section, but can you organise the 'videos' section into folders?

Thanks!

eaglesteve2
13th July 2009, 08:47 PM
Have'nt imported any video, but if it works like in music, why don't you categorise it by the genre, artist, and album field?

dotnet
13th July 2009, 11:43 PM
I know you can make playlists and they will appear on the 'playlists' section, but can you organise the 'videos' section into folders?

No, you cannot introduce folders in the iTunes library. That library is a relational database of tracks that is indexed and can be searched by various attributes. The designated way of organising library content is by playlist. You can either statically assign library tracks to a playlist, or dynamically based on search predicates.

Using playlists does everything for you a rigid folder structure would do, but offer more flexibility (e.g. a library track can be in as many playlists as you wish). Think of playlists as database views.

Cheers
Steffen.

Antares
14th July 2009, 10:31 AM
Alright then. Problem solved.

Thanks guys!

Phillo
14th July 2009, 11:38 AM
Have'nt imported any video, but if it works like in music, why don't you categorise it by the genre, artist, and album field?

Your right. When you right click on the video file.... go into "get info".

In there you can tell iTunes that the file is a TV show, movie etc... Also You tell it the name of the show and the episode number.

If you do that... it will arrange everything for you.

I know this is stating the obvious... but no one seems to have discussed this method in this thread.

eaglesteve2
14th July 2009, 03:49 PM
In fact, if you're in iTune, go to the library movies section to show all your movies first. Then, right click on the top of the listing, and click to turn on whatever fields you want. One of the fields is called category - excatly what you want. Enter your own values in there.

That is if you do not wish to use Genre as the field.

Japester
14th July 2009, 03:54 PM
You can tag the hell out of movies, but the Apple TV, Front Row and the iPod/iPhone will ignore the album structure, track number etc. It's a major annoyance. Apple seems to be assuming that movies are single files and doesn't consider that you might have an album of movies, e.g. movie, trailer, making-of, etc., all related to the one movie.

Top Gear is obviously a TV show, so tag it as one and you'll get a lot of support from the abovementioned devices. TV shows are well catered for.

icant
14th July 2009, 04:24 PM
You can copy the tracks to the iPhone using Air Sharing, separate from iTunes. Then you have control over the folder hierarchy.

Japester
14th July 2009, 04:30 PM
You can copy the tracks to the iPhone using Air Sharing, separate from iTunes. Then you have control over the folder hierarchy.

That's a horrible, manual process. We're supposed to do our work in iTunes, then sync based on tab settings or playlists.

Antares
14th July 2009, 04:56 PM
Found a better way. Hope this helps anyone else:

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Set Video Kind of Selected v3.1 (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=setvideokindofselected)

Credits to the folks on macworld ;)