PDA

View Full Version : Broken Macbook 13"

dholms
12th July 2009, 09:37 PM
Hey, looking for some advice here...

I have a girl friend of mine who bought a Macbook 13" in December. About 4 days after she bought it, she was getting out of her car and grabbed her purse and out came the Macbook while it was in sleep mode and flew out of the bag and onto the street.

So I'm looking at the easiest way for me to fix it for here.

The problems are:

Cracked LCD (But can boot up on external display)

HD worked for a few days after the drop, but now when I try and do a Zero erase on the HD and try and reload the OS, it doesn't show a HD to install the OS on. But it does show it, like I said when I erase and zero..?

Other than that everything seems to be fine. I could install the display if I could find one for a cheap price, and I have been told that the HD may be f'd.

One thing I am going to try is, putting the Macbook HD into my PS3 and see if that works. And by placing the HD from the PS3 into the Macbook to see if it can read it.

Anyone think there may be some more issues that may be wrong? Should I bother to try and fix, and how much do you reckon it would cost to get everything back to good shape?

Thanks,

D

Byrd
12th July 2009, 10:09 PM
Chuck the HD, it's most likely cactus. If you can boot up using an external display, run the Apple Hardware test CD and see if any problems crop up; if all good, a new display + HD and all should be fine.

I've seen new displays on eBay for $250 - 300 and you can pick up a replacement 2.5" SATA HD from $80 new.

JB

funky79
12th July 2009, 10:12 PM
has she got Household insurance with accidental Insurance ???

would be checking that, then take it to a service centre to get looked at

choy
12th July 2009, 11:51 PM
is this a Macbook white or a macbook aluminium? If white you can get cheap LCDs from here:
MacBook 13.3" LCD Panel - MacBook 13.3" LCD Screen Panel Replacement - MacFixit Australia Store (http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=195)

Forget about the HD, it's screwed. If it's not showing up reliably on your mac no matter whether it shows up when you format it it's not worth the risk of re-using. Drives are so cheap these days, just go buy a new one.

dholms
14th July 2009, 08:49 PM
Hey thanks for the reply's!

It is a Macbook White.. So i'll take a look at that link you have choy.

Yeah she has gone through the insurance things and the answer is pretty much tough luck..

I was thinking about putting the PS3 HD in the Macbook, just to see if it even reads it, cause if it doesn't, then there may be more damage?

Does anyone know the name of the type of screw that hold the Macbook HD in it's casing?

LCGuy
14th July 2009, 11:14 PM
The screws that hold the drive into the drive carrier are 8 bit Torx screws...you should be able to find a suitable screwdriver at Dick Smiths, thats where I got mine from anyway.

peterz
15th July 2009, 08:21 PM
Hey mate,

When you pull it apart the hinges in the display housing may be cracked, depending on the fall. You may also have damaged screw stand-offs (threads moulded into the casing) in the bottom case and top case. This would be worst case scenario though!

You'd probably be looking at anywhere between $300~$500 to fix it.

icant
15th July 2009, 08:41 PM
You could use an external HD, keyboard, mouse and monitor, and use it as a Mac Mini. For the time being, if you have spares and $ is tight.

She bought it in December, and she dropped it 4 days later... And it's now July...?

dholms
18th July 2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah

Byrd
18th July 2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah just met the girl like a month ago, and she mentioned it to me, so I said I would take a look. Been sitting under her bed since then.

Shit steady on there mate, you've only been with her for a month, does she know you are there?

JB

dholms
20th July 2009, 06:56 PM
hah... Busted! She just found me

icant
30th July 2009, 04:25 AM
I have a girl friend of mine who bought a Macbook 13" in December. About 4 days after she bought it, she was getting out of her car and grabbed her purse and out came the Macbook while it was in sleep mode and flew out of the bag and onto the street.

This is one of those situations where a credit card with 90 day purchase protection pays for itself.

dholms
5th September 2009, 09:18 PM

peterz
6th September 2009, 01:26 PM
MacFixIt would be the best place to get the gear from. With warranties and the like.

Set aside some time for the repair, take it slow and keep your screws organised!

dholms
19th September 2009, 05:28 PM
Got it working!!

Just for peice of mind I bought an external HDD and installed the 10.5 on that and it seems to running quite nicely.

Now I just need to find a good price for the display and laptop HDD.. Thanks for all the help. Hope fully I could get this all done for under $400.

So I need a HDD that is 2.5" of ATA?

bljpoad
19th September 2009, 06:15 PM
Nope, for a MB you will need a SATA drive. You should be able to find a seagate or WD 80GB drive for $60ish.

staticICE :: 2.5" sata 80gb : Australia's comprehensive computer hardware and gadget price comparison search engine (http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=2.5%22+sata+80gb&spos=1)

Good luck mate :)
- Berwyck

dholms
20th September 2009, 06:27 PM
I am thinking of getting this, cause it seems to be pretty cheap.

2.5" SATA Drives - Hitachi 2.5" SATA Laptop Hard Disk Drives - ***SPECIAL PRICE - LIMITED TIME***Hitachi Travelstar 500GB 2.5" 5K500 5400RPM SATA Notebook Drive with 16MB Cache - New, 3 Year Warranty - MacFixit Australia Store (http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=808)

I would be nice to get the display for cheaper tho...

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/product.php?productid=16961&cat=0&page=1

$221.00 with shipping... Not too bad, and the same HDD as above is cheaper as well

dholms
6th January 2010, 01:22 PM
Removed

dholms
6th January 2010, 04:05 PM
Removed

dholms
7th January 2010, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know of a place where I may be able to buy an LCD in a retail store

dholms
14th January 2010, 07:44 AM
Hello,

everything is back together now. But it seems as if the optical drive may be having an issue. Pretty sure it was put back together properly but when I start it up. It has the ? Folder. This is because of the new HD. But there was the install disk in the drive when I took it apart :s When the machine starts up the drive sounds like it spins the disk for one sec then does nothing. I have tried hold the eject button and nothing happens..

Anyone got any advice? Should I just take it all apart again and have the keyboard taken off to see how it is running?

dholms
14th January 2010, 06:28 PM
Actually there is no cd stuck in it... The optical drive doesn't seen to be even with the cd slot?? This seems to get worse and worse.

Has anybody else run in to this situation?

dholms
8th February 2010, 09:07 PM
Anyone have any advice for the Optical Drive? It has been screwed in the same way it came out. But it is just really loud when it spins and it just seems like it really has to suck and push when the cd is either put in or taken out?

Any advice of how I can make sure it will run smoothly? Or should I take it to the local Mac reseller and see if they could have a look?