PDA

View Full Version : Lost All Preferences (and More?) At Reboot

lunchbill
28th June 2005, 06:17 PM
Recently I've been having a problem with my G3, in that Appleworks will sometimes not open if I have been running Quicktime. The machine does not freeze; Appleworks simply "unexpectedly quits" before it even gets fully open. I have found that restarting the computer "solves" the problem. Anyway, this happened yesterday, but when I restarted (from the dialogue window, not a forced reboot) all my preferences were gone. Lost my homepage, as well as all my bookmarks and prefs on Safari. Entourage thinks it is starting up for the first time--wants to set up a new account. All my email hist is gone. Most preferences across the system seem to have reset to defaults. Desktop image went to the generic blue Mac image. The dock came up expanded to maximum size.

Anyone have any idea what happened here? Is it possible the old files are stil in the computer, just not accessible for some reason?

Someone suggested I could be running out of disk space, but I don't think that is the case. The computer was upgraded with a second hard drive recently. (I can't get in touch with my tech guy.)

Any help much appreciated.

Mac Aid
29th June 2005, 09:25 PM
Sounds like you have lost or moved your Documents and Library folders, at least part of them. This could be from directory structure damage, or you could have inadvertantly moved them, or even your whole user folder.

Try running a permissions repair with disk utility first, and then run first aid. Better yet, run disk warrior if you have it.

Have you done any "tidying" recently, when you could have moved these folders?

Mail for Entourage is stored in a folder called "Microsoft User Data" which must be located in your documents folder in your user folder to work, so you can do a search for that to see if it's moved.

Safari preferences are stored in a "Safari" folder in the library folder in your user folder.

lunchbill
30th June 2005, 04:32 AM
The only thing I did prior to the problem was remove the applications folder alias from the dock. Did not touch Library or Documents. Have not done any "tidying".

I do not have the install disk needed to run Disk Utility. And I do not have Disk Warrior. (The tech guy who set up my system is unavailable till next week....Baaaa!!)

There is a Microsoft User Data file in the Documents folder, but it was created only two days ago, apparently when I launched Entourage after the bug out.

Others have suggested that my battery power is low, but my understanding is that that would change the time/date settings. Those have not changed.

Also, someone said maybe I'm running out of disk space, but I've only used 16GB of 36GB.

Not sure what else to do here.

Currawong
30th June 2005, 05:42 AM
Sounds like you're logged in as a different user?

What version of Appleworks do you have? When you open Appleworks, select "About Appleworks" from the Appleworks menu to find out.

lunchbill
30th June 2005, 05:47 PM
Well, that is an interesting take on the situation. The computer does indeed behave as though a different user is logged on, except there's only one user id for this system. Just to test it, I logged off and restarted. No change.

Appleworks is 6.2.7

Let's say the PRAM somehow got zapped. Could that dump my emails from the Microsoft User Data file for Entourage?

What could cause that to happen?