PDA

View Full Version : Non Apple Wireless Router, Will It Work

ric3am
28th June 2005, 03:59 PM
Hi have a chance of buying a Netgear WGT624 Wireless router for little money off what I have read it works with OSX but I'm not sure if it will work with an Airport Extreme card

Has any body have this unit an dose it work?

Quamen
28th June 2005, 04:05 PM
It should work fine

Kildare
28th June 2005, 04:23 PM
Any wireless router should work fine.
Networking fundementals irrelevant of the machine(s) present.

I've never had any issues with my iBook (Airport Extreme) with D-Link, Netgear or other branded wireless routers.

mvjs
28th June 2005, 04:25 PM
It WILL work fine. Any router will work fine with an Airport card as long as it meets the 802.11b/g specification. I use a Belkin Pre-N Wireless Router, and works fine with my Airport enabled Mini.

Wheels
28th June 2005, 04:51 PM
I can't see why it wouldn't work. I am using my Belkin and it works fine!

Paxton
28th June 2005, 04:53 PM
Airport is just Apple's fancy name for a simple 54g or 54b card. I use mine with a Netgear wireless router daily, and it works better than my Dell with Centrino, and WAY better than my Wife's Compaq with an after market wireless card in it. I use my in-law's Linksys card monthly with no problems also. Unless you have an out of the ordinary card, you will have no problems.

-Andrew

adamjc
29th June 2005, 01:05 AM
I use all netgear here for wireless connectivity.

Although I did buy an airport express so I can stream my music to the lounge stereo, so my mac runs wirelessly off the airport express and not the netgear now.

But it was working fine on the netgear.

Adam.

patcanuck
29th June 2005, 04:43 PM
Yep, I too went the NetGear route. First one turned out to be flaky but we got great customer support from DataParts in Shepparton and they immediately replaced it with a newer one. Has worked seamlessly and without a hiccup ever since. :thumbup:

pipsqeek
30th June 2005, 11:52 AM
Any wireless router will work with OS X.

They all use the IEEE 802.11b/g standards.

Unless they don't. Highly unlikely.

Snowy28
30th June 2005, 01:49 PM
Oooh!

I have this router!

It works seamlessly, it's fine.

AOK, have fun with it!

My suggested tips for use is to Use MAC Adress filtering, hide the SSID, and turn WEP Off.

PM me if you need any help with it.

pipsqeek
30th June 2005, 02:23 PM
Don't you mean, Turn WPA on?

Might as well use all the security features you paid for.

pipsqeek

meowmanx
30th June 2005, 04:48 PM
I've got the same one too, I've got it Binded to my MAC address and 128 bit encryption

- I pray I'm secure enough *cross fingers* but give a highschool kid a bone...

mvjs
30th June 2005, 04:57 PM
If you've got WPA On, your going to be Ok.

Bart Smastard
11th November 2006, 11:18 PM
I was happy to find this post when I searched on the WGT624 as I just bought one and suddenly had a post-purchase panic when I could find absolutely zero references to Mac on the box.

I was a little annoyed that the html file on the CD that comes with it wouldn't load in Safari, Camino or Firefox (maybe it was a dud file) but I got it set up using the installation guide (for Advanced users as the wizard for simpletons was on the CD) and the configuration browser.

Netgear are happy to make their wireless routers nice and white like Macs but that's where the friendship ends with the Apple community.

Still it's working a whole lot better than the Netcomm wireless router it replaces. :thumbup:

icant
11th November 2006, 11:27 PM
My suggested tips for use is to Use MAC Adress filtering, hide the SSID, and turn WEP Off.

Just a note that these are not usually thought of to be wholly-secure settings.

Bart Smastard
11th November 2006, 11:42 PM
Oh yeah, that reminds me. I tried using a 63 ASCII character WPA password but the Mac would not connect. I changed it to 32 characters and it signed on straight away.

Can't OS X handle big WPA passwords? I'm running 10.4.8 on a 1.42 G4 eMac with an AirPort Extreme card, firmware version 405.1 (3.90.34.0.p18).

paulharrop
12th November 2006, 07:45 AM
I use a Netcomm NB5 plus 4w ADSL 2+ modem / router. :thumbup:

It works beautifully with our 3 PC's and my Emac running airport.

The manual has good references to setting up on OSX and the whole thing can be setup and managed on my Emac through a browser.

I have found the software to be easy to use and very Mac friendly.

There was no need to set it up on a Windows PC initially like some require.

Paul

No I don't work for Netcomm!! :rolleyes:

Dante Kyar
13th November 2006, 12:03 AM
I use a netgear wired router for my pc desktop and cable modem, i then have a netgear wireless access point and connect to this with other laptops and desktops and my MBP (all of which seems to work flawlessly).

I recently added an airport express (the one that allows you to play itunes to speakers wirelessly), and i wanted to set it up so that it extends my wireless signal.

I think i have done this, but im not %100 sure that my laptop isnt still just getting the main signal from the access point. Is there a way i can check that it is actually extending my signal (other than moving around), and not just adding the itunes wireless play function?

Thnx.

Nathan.

Squozen
13th November 2006, 06:41 AM
Oh yeah, that reminds me. I tried using a 63 ASCII character WPA password but the Mac would not connect. I changed it to 32 characters and it signed on straight away.

Can't OS X handle big WPA passwords? I'm running 10.4.8 on a 1.42 G4 eMac with an AirPort Extreme card, firmware version 405.1 (3.90.34.0.p18).

Sure can. I'm running a 63 character WPA password on my network right now (with an Airport Express).

markh
13th November 2006, 08:59 AM
Oooh!

Disabling broadcasting of SSID really serves no security purpose :-) And a disabled SSID can be sniffed anyway

Bart Smastard
13th November 2006, 10:09 PM
Sure can. I'm running a 63 character WPA password on my network right now (with an Airport Express).

Interesting. Maybe it's the eMac. I'll try it again with 63 char.

BTW, a friend put me on to a site that is perfect for generating impossibly complex passwords that are perfect for WPA. Go to https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for a unique password. If you're super paranoid try the "63 random printable ASCII characters" password (they look like a drunk monkey has been dancing on your keyboard). No one will ever crack one of these (easily). Which means you're screwed if you forget it... and unless you have photographic memory you will, so copy it to a text file and store it someplace secure.

roundaboutmusic
13th November 2006, 10:47 PM
I use a netgear wired router for my pc desktop and cable modem, i then have a netgear wireless access point and connect to this with other laptops and desktops and my MBP (all of which seems to work flawlessly).

I recently added an airport express (the one that allows you to play itunes to speakers wirelessly), and i wanted to set it up so that it extends my wireless signal.

I think i have done this, but im not %100 sure that my laptop isnt still just getting the main signal from the access point. Is there a way i can check that it is actually extending my signal (other than moving around), and not just adding the itunes wireless play function?

Thnx.

Nathan.

I'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure you can't extend the range of a netgear wireless router with airport express. unfortunately they don't play friendly together like that (their WDS systems are incompbatible). I've got the same setup as you, and my airport express just runs my music and printing without extending my network.