PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about Push

aussiedeano
9th July 2009, 02:11 PM
Can I ask a really dumb question? What exactly is "push", and why do I need it?

I have set up my Gmail account in Mail, so I get me email very quick, why would I need something like Growl to push things? Not sure I have a good understanding of what Push is.

Sorry for such a basic question, but I've been scratching my head for a while now!

Thanks!

Dean

Exocet
9th July 2009, 02:23 PM
Push means that servers have an open connection to your iPhone wherever you are. This means that contacts, emails, calendar items etc can be sent to your iPhone whenever is necessary. Fetch checks in on a regular update and gets these things when it checks in.

At the moment if you enable push and fetch on your GMail - you're running two schedules, and if GMail checks and there's nothing there you've wasted that fetch. Running push means you are alerted when there's a new message, and only have to check when there's something there.

You can also use push to alert you of all sorts of things - IM notifications without running the app, growl notifications etc. Its a way of getting instant information to your handset, whatever that information may be.

aussiedeano
9th July 2009, 02:57 PM
Cool....so I'm fetching my Gmail right now, I should push it instead. I will research the options!

Thanks for the info!

Exocet
9th July 2009, 03:02 PM
GMail can't be pushed. However, if you have a computer which is always on with an internet connection - you can run a program on your Mac to check GMail, and notify you when a message comes in. Then, when you receive the notification on your handset you know when to open Mail and check for new messages.