PDA

View Full Version : Video Conversion Problems

Lozin
9th July 2009, 02:05 PM
I downloaded an mp4 movie to play on my PS3. It works fine using VLC on the Mac. After i put it on PS3, i get an unsupported format. So clearly the codec used isnt compatible. I then decided to re-encode the mp4 to another format to get it working. However, having a few problems.

Handbrake: About 50% or so into the file it closes unexpectedly. Tried a few times and it always happens.
ffmegx: As soon as i click convert, it dings and says finished even though it has done nothing. Although whenever i open it, it requires me to re-locate one of the 3 files. Not sure if this has any effect.
Ps3video9 (sp?): When i click convert nothing actually happens and i dont even get a progress bar.
Quicktime: When i try to open it, i get some error about public atom. I have all the perian codecs and co installed.

Are there any other Mac video conversion tools i can throw at it and see what type of errors i will get?

Japester
9th July 2009, 02:06 PM
MPEG Streamclip.

Cybix
9th July 2009, 02:26 PM
x2 MPEG Streamclip... I've been converting tonnes of clips lately for playback on both PS3 and AppleTV... took me a while to get all the settings right. I have settings for Handbrake, and MPEG Streamclip now :)

edit: more info on how, on one of my sites/blogs.. Cinema Mac - Getting the most out of media on your mac (http://www.cinemamac.com)

Lozin
9th July 2009, 09:49 PM
MPEG Streamclip wouldnt even open the file either.

Ended up getting mkvtoolnix and muxing the movie to an mpv worked. Now it can opened and played around with by most programs without errors.