PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Second Laptop?

mevers
9th July 2009, 02:59 AM
I currently have a 13' Macbook (2.4 GHz, 2GB) a little over a year old.

I am looking to replace my old (3 - 4 years) desktop PC with a cheap 2nd hand mac laptop so my wife can browse the internet and do the occasional Word processing when I am at college. Doesn't need to do any more than that.

What should I get? I was leaning towards just picking up a cheap G4 powerbook off ebay. Is this the best option? Or is it worth it to shell out the extra to pickup a refurbished macbook?

This is the first mac I have owned after a string of PCs (and absolutely love it), so I'm not really up to date with the capabilities of older macs.

Thanks

choy
9th July 2009, 05:44 AM
go for a refurb macbook. With snow leopard, the new update to mac os x, around the corner, if your mac is not intel you won't be able to upgrade.

LCGuy
9th July 2009, 08:39 AM
I second choy's suggestion to get a MacBook. Now is not the time to be BUYING a PowerPC Macintosh, but instead to be SELLING one. Soon after Snow Leopard comes out later this year, you'll see the values of used PowerPC Macs fall dramatically, as what normally happens when a new OS comes out that drops support for machines.

lazydesi
9th July 2009, 09:33 AM
cheap means any particular $ value?

mevers
9th July 2009, 03:19 PM
When is Snow Leopard scheduled for release? I just might wait for it to come out and pick up a cheap Power Book.

There is no need to have the latest operating system, it will only be used to run a web browser and word. And it only needs to last till I finish college in 18 months, when I will probably upgrade my current macbook (which will then become my wife's machine).

So I don't want to spend a heap of money, preferably somewhere in the 600 - 700 dollar price range.

Alec Fraser
9th July 2009, 03:32 PM
September, October...something like that?

sennen
9th July 2009, 03:36 PM
keep an eye on the refurb store for a mac mini.