PDA

View Full Version : Taking Ibook On Domestic Flight

ETHERSPIN
27th June 2005, 04:28 PM
what are security gonna ask me to do travelling from brisbane to melbourne by plane this week.. i have an ibook, are they gonna ask me to take any of it apart and if so.. is it easy/how is it done? do they allow you to use it on the plane? how long after take off?

mac_man_luke
27th June 2005, 04:38 PM
I took mine on a plane from adelaide to brisbane and they never questioned it but it was a short period that i was actually able to use it

Wheels
27th June 2005, 04:39 PM
I don't know specifically about the iBook but last month I took my Toshiba laptop through security and I had to take it out the case and place it in a tray. Probably because they can scan the case better if there is no laptop in it! Also, you can only use it once the plane stops climbing after takeoff. (about 10 minutes)

Jobe

mwot
27th June 2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by wheels8989@Jun 27 2005, 04:39 PM
I don't know specifically about the iBook but last month I took my Toshiba laptop through security and I had to take it out the case and place it in a tray. Probably because they can scan the case better if there is no laptop in it!

Jobe
Yes, this is the norm for laptops as carry-on. You are asked to take it out of the case/bag so it can be x-rayed seperately. Dunno why. Thinking, maybe Jobe's idea is correct :D

sgc7of7
27th June 2005, 04:59 PM
You have to take the laptop out of it's bag and place it in one of the white trays to be scanned separately.
Why? So other people can stare enviously at your stylish mac, while you grin like a chesire cat because you were smart enough to buy a really good computer.

You can use it on the plane, just not for the first and last 20 minutes (approximately). They let you know when you can turn it on and when you have to turn it off.

I can kinda understand why we have to turn off computers etc for landing, but if anyone can tell me why on earth the window blinds have to be open I will be eternally grateful.

spargo
27th June 2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by sgc7of7@Jun 27 2005, 07:59 AM
I can kinda understand why we have to turn off computers etc for landing, but if anyone can tell me why on earth the window blinds have to be open I will be eternally grateful.
I accept your eternal gratitude (http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-46836.html)

sgc7of7
27th June 2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by spargo@Jun 27 2005, 05:08 PM
I accept your eternal gratitude (http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-46836.html)
Umm, there doesn't appear to be an appropriate emoticon, so I'll PM you every day just to say thanks.

Kildare
27th June 2005, 07:07 PM
Lol - one of the reasons I bought my iBook was to kill the boredom on domestic flights.
Never any dramas as noted above.

designers_hub
27th June 2005, 07:16 PM
nothing. they just tell you to remove the battery and place it through the x-ray scanner.

yeah i had a toshiba. and it was literally imporrible to remove the battery so i said screw it and just placed it through the scanner.

yeah you got to remove the laptop from the bag and put it into one of the trays.

spargo
27th June 2005, 07:29 PM
Just to tie things up, here's a previous thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3099&hl=domestic) about airport security and x-ray scanning of laptops etc..

spilla
27th June 2005, 11:04 PM
i'm going to the US for an exchange in August, and i'm taking my ibook and ipod with me...will they check through my ipod and everything to see if i've got songs downloaded from p2p programs? or should that all be fine?

spargo
27th June 2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by spilla@Jun 27 2005, 02:04 PM
i'm going to the US for an exchange in August, and i'm taking my ibook and ipod with me...will they check through my ipod and everything to see if i've got songs downloaded from p2p programs? or should that all be fine?
no they won't.

it should be fine.

TorranceTM
27th June 2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by spilla@Jun 27 2005, 11:04 PM
:D - Not a chance, but they will ask you to remove the battery from the ibook to see if it contains C4 :o - Seriously in the USA on domestic flights they have asked me to start my laptop to a Windows prompt then shutdown and remove the battery to examine it and also x-ray the laptop - but this was at the height of the aviation problems.

P2P download checking on an iPod not a chance.

Asian DVD copies are a slight chance if you have lots of them.

jobe
27th June 2005, 11:23 PM
lol. no. They are only interested to see if it's concealing a weapon/bomb/lsd etc

spilla
27th June 2005, 11:24 PM
well thats good to hear, asian dvd copies won't be a problem seeing as i don't have any :)....now i just have to find a bag for my ibook as i don't really wanna take the big black case thing....lol

spargo
27th June 2005, 11:34 PM
Hey spilla,

Go look backards through the Notebooks Forum - there's plenty of old discussion threads on all sorts of different cases etc..

Here's a recent one (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=9489) where the STM cases and a few others were discussed

pipsqeek
27th June 2005, 11:48 PM
I had them ask me to remove the battery of my iBook when I was leaving Sydney.

In NZ, they didn't bother.

The Pacific Islands were no issue at all, but to be fair, those two weeks were spent on a cruise ship, so there weren't any issues with customs anyway.

Arriving back into NZ, we only had to be checked for Wooden goods.

Arrive back in Sydney. no one asked for anything. and I wasn't going to bother removing my iBook from the Targus backpack. cbf'd really. And thankfully I wasn't hassled.

Begs the question. In Sydney, they checked on the way out, but not on the way in........

pipsqeek

Currawong
28th June 2005, 07:58 AM
I've never been told to remove my battery going anywhere, just the Powerbook taken out and put in a tray.

Captain Stathi
28th June 2005, 04:56 PM
Hi,
Just left Australia and flying domestic from Syd to Adel, then Adel to Melb and then to NZ all they do is ask you take out the laptop so they can xray it, this is the same with all domestic & international flights. But hey it could be worse at Tullemarine I had to take off my belt because of the buckle as it kept going off as I was walking through the metal scanner.

ETHERSPIN
28th June 2005, 06:55 PM
ok...someone said they had to get the battery out of it for a flight through sydney?? how do you take an ibook battery off ??? :o

pipsqeek
28th June 2005, 07:48 PM
The underside of the iBook is where the battery is at.

Just turn that little dial to the unlock icon, and the battery will pop out.

Pushing down lightly on the battery also helps if its a tight (a good) grip, while turning the dial.

Make sure the machine is shutdown.

pipsqeek