PDA

View Full Version : Change HDD in 06 MBP or wait till apple care runs out and buy new mbp?

janastas
8th July 2009, 12:56 PM
I'm throwing up the idea of upgrading the hard drive (it's kinding chugging away atm)in my 06 mbp or possibly buying a new mbp when my applecare runs out in november.

Because I'm still under applecare i'm supposed to go to an authorised repairer to replace the hdd.

The quote was for $138 just to replace the hdd <cough>ripoff!</cough>
I'm thinking about getting a wd scorpio blue 500GB.

I've still got about 25GB free on the drive (120GB Hitachi) but I have a feeling that i'll chew up at least another 15GB by november (apple care runs out in november)

I really don't see any reason to get a new mbp as the one I have currently is running just fine except for the fact that the drive is getting full.

The only issue I have is that when the applecare runs out there's the risk it will cost me to fix it if it breaks (I'm using the mbp full time at work so this would be a pain)

So the question is:

Go with a hdd drive upgrade and if it breaks it breaks (and also keep it for at least a few more years)

or

Sell the mbp when the applecare runs out and upgrade to a new unibody mbp.

Thoughts???

funky79
8th July 2009, 02:04 PM
if you are looking at selling it at the end of warranty

then just get it fixed

if you want to keep it and get a new MBP when the warranty runs out then I would upgrade the Mac but keep the 120gb as you can get that put back in the mac if you were going to sell it and put the new drive in an external for a portable drive

that is would I would be doing

janastas
8th July 2009, 02:37 PM
if you are looking at selling it at the end of warranty

then just get it fixed
I'm not sure if I want to sell it yet, I'm waiting to see if mbp's will be updated around november, I'll make my decision then.

if you want to keep it and get a new MBP when the warranty runs out then I would upgrade the Mac but keep the 120gb as you can get that put back in the mac if you were going to sell it and put the new drive in an external for a portable drive
that is would I would be doing

I'm thinking get the drive then move it to the new mbp if I decide to upgrade, if not leave it in the current mbp and stay with it as long as I can.

Maximage
8th July 2009, 03:01 PM
If you are comfortable with a toolset yourself, you CAN actually change the drive yourself. It is a very common misconception that you can't do it yourself, but the AppleCare terms and conditions state quite clearly that they will only void your warranty if you damage the unit while modifying it, they won't void you simply because you modify it. I have also had this verified a while ago by a senior tech at Apple themselves after I was given the run-around by a dealer on a mac mini I had upgraded the processor in that had a totally unrelated warranty issue with it.

samuelowens
8th July 2009, 03:06 PM
I paid to have mine done about six months ago. I figured that a) HDD changes in the old school MBP are fiddly, b) I could blame someone else and take it back to an authorised service centre if it went wrong and have them swap it and c) I would guarantee that I retained AppleCare for everything except the HDD.

klif
8th July 2009, 03:09 PM
If you are comfortable with a toolset yourself, you CAN actually change the drive yourself. It is a very common misconception that you can't do it yourself, but the AppleCare terms and conditions state quite clearly that they will only void your warranty if you damage the unit while modifying it, they won't void you simply because you modify it. I have also had this verified a while ago by a senior tech at Apple themselves after I was given the run-around by a dealer on a mac mini I had upgraded the processor in that had a totally unrelated warranty issue with it.

The hard drive in non-unibody MacBook Pro's is not user replaceable under the terms of AppleCare.

All user replaceable components are spelled out in the Apple documentation available on their support site.

Its the #1 reason I want to replace my current 15" MacBook Pro with a Unibody 13" or 15" MacBook Pro.

Maximage
8th July 2009, 03:23 PM
Klif, before you make incorrect statements and continue to perpetuate the myth, how about you go do some research first. READ the Applecare agreement here: http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_Asia_en.pdf
specifically point b.ii where it clearly states they will only void it if you cause damage. Sure, if you aren't comfortable with a screwdriver and a manual downloaded from online, then certainly don't do it, but what part of "I have also had this verified a while ago by a senior tech at Apple themselves" do you fail to understand?

I quote with highlights what is NOT covered: "Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes; "

See where it clearly says DAMAGE caused by unauthorized modification. If you don't damage it by being meat fisted, then you are all good. If you bend a connector, then fair call you are on your own, but if your screen suddenly dies 2 months later due to an unrelated event they CANNOT and WILL NOT void your warranty UNLESS you somehow managed to cause the DAMAGE yourself.

Sure it can be slightly difficult to do, hence why they don't SHOW you how to do it in your manual, but they DO NOT state that swapping a drive will specifically void your warranty, it will only do so if you DAMAGE the unit. They also cannot void it under law. A car company cannot void your cars warranty for changing the tyres, unless you put the wrong size on and it causes undue stress on other parts. Even then, they can only void it on the parts that are directly affected, ie, suspension and maybe clutch, etc. If your aircon fails , they still have to cover that.

If janastas is not comfortable with downloading a manual and using a torx screwdriver then I certainly DO NOT suggest he does it, not worth the risk, but he should not have to be under the false impression that he is not allowed to do it at all if he is competent.

janastas
8th July 2009, 05:32 PM
If janastas is not comfortable with downloading a manual and using a torx screwdriver then I certainly DO NOT suggest he does it, not worth the risk, but he should not have to be under the false impression that he is not allowed to do it at all if he is competent.

Well I think I'll go ahead and do it, i'm not scared of opening up a laptop or a pc and playing with the hardware.

I suppose if I do sell my mbp I can always put in the original hard drive and keep the one I bought.

g4cube
8th July 2009, 07:52 PM
I have the same model MBP as you and just asked the same question let me know how you go i am keen to do mine but wonder about size and speed 120GB is just to small.

klif
9th July 2009, 02:32 PM
I have queried apple staff both here and in the states and the response has always been, if you don't want to invalidate your Applecare cover you have paid for then don't do any repairs/upgrades that aren't documented in Apples support site.

If others want to ignore this advice, go for it...

~Coxy
9th July 2009, 04:19 PM
Apple cannot, by law, void your warranty like that (in Australia.)

Still, it's best to not bring it up in the first place, and only if they ask to say that all work was done by an authorised service center.

klif
9th July 2009, 06:25 PM
If work is carried out by a "authorised service center" im pretty sure its logged against the AppleCare record of the machine in question.

So they know the machine's service history.

Maximage
9th July 2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry Klif, but no, it is not logged in the system if someone does something like a Hard Drive. How do I know? Didn't want to pull this one out but guess where I worked for 6 odd years ....

When I had the issues with a reseller trying to recently fob me off when they didn't know what they were talking about, in front of them I had to ring tech at Apple to get them to back me up.

The reason they say "not to if you don't want to invalidate your warranty" is that there certainly is potential to do damage. If they tell you to go ahead and you stuff it up, then they are liable, so of course they recommend no, but it is purely that, a recommendation. Ram slots are pretty hard to stuff up so they are named as user serviceable. Again, they cannot invalidate you for simply changing the drive, both by their own documentation that I have already provided directly on their own site, and also by law.

It appears you want to keep disagreeing but do not seem to recognise the FACT I have provided a link to Apple's OWN site where they clearly show that you are under the wrong impression. You can't argue with what they have written on their own site!!

resonance
9th July 2009, 10:04 PM
I'll side my personal experience with Maximage on this one.

I replaced the drive on my old MBP (piece-o-piss, op do it, its easy :P) and i burred one of the heads on the screws slightly.

Then I had a nvidia problem, took it to apple, they had to know i had been inside it. They didn't care though.

I think doing it yourself certainly will open you up more to the "User caused Damage" more than a auth repairer will or someone who doesn't upgrade, so its all a matter of what you think you can.

Personally, I got a small kit of weird screw driver heads from Dick smith for $15, best money I've ever spent I love that little kit!

But yeah, its a peice of piss. Just don't force anything. And have a logical way to remember where all the little screws go, there are SHITLOADS

janastas
9th July 2009, 10:26 PM
I think I'm going to hold off until late October and make a decision then. (Applecare runs out mid november)

Ultimately I think I'll upgrade to a new mbp regardless now as I'll need the extra memory that the new mbp's can handle (mine has the 3 GB limit and my hard drive starts crunching under heavy use)

If updated mbp's come out around that time i'll get one, if not the current line up looks good as they are.

Thanks for all the feedback.