PDA

View Full Version : Facts I need to clear up about the new MBP's

iCarllovesapple
8th July 2009, 01:24 AM
Hello everyone! Thanks for viewing my post.

So, Q1: Is it all the new Macbook Pros that have the SATA problems - IE: 1.5 Gigabit transfer rate? Will this be fixed by Apple, or was it purposely done?

Q2:I am wondering if it is possible to move only certain applications and certain files over to a new Mac? For instance, I have bought Mac Heist bundles and a Mac Update bundle - These were downloaded from the internet. For me to have to re-download them would use a hell of a lot of bandwidth! I would like to use Migration assistant to do so. I want to transfer only my iPhoto library and iTunes music library. The rest of my library's are scattered on HD's. So, is it possible to do this?

Thanks Guys, and I'm sorry if I've made this sound confusing!
Carl

Back2Bedlam
8th July 2009, 01:59 AM
Hello everyone! Thanks for viewing my post.

So, Q1: Is it all the new Macbook Pros that have the SATA problems - IE: 1.5 Gigabit transfer rate? Will this be fixed by Apple, or was it purposely done?

It seems to be only the 13" MBP's, or what really are MacBooks. Apparently a recent a firmware update has reverted them to 3.GBS. But I would not worry about this issue, unless of course you are putting in a SSD, and even then, it's theoretical maximum speed, which isn't achieved yet.

rodeodee
8th July 2009, 03:30 PM
i just migrated my apps over without issue, including macheist bundles. but in my case, I'm going to wipe and do a clean install. I've decided migrating copies too much crap that I actually need to clean (including some preference files etc).

Bundle apps: i backup my downloads for future use. you never know when a web link may stop working or no longer exist.

Kevin
8th July 2009, 03:50 PM
Q2:I am wondering if it is possible to move only certain applications and certain files over to a new Mac? For instance, I have bought Mac Heist bundles and a Mac Update bundle - These were downloaded from the internet. For me to have to re-download them would use a hell of a lot of bandwidth! I would like to use Migration assistant to do so. I want to transfer only my iPhoto library and iTunes music library. The rest of my library's are scattered on HD's. So, is it possible to do this?

Thanks Guys, and I'm sorry if I've made this sound confusing!
Carl

Target disk mode.

~Coxy
8th July 2009, 04:29 PM
When you do Migration Assistant, you can choose what to transfer. Pretty sure you can choose Applications and not Users to do what you want.

Brains
8th July 2009, 04:42 PM
Migration Assistant is an all-or-nothing affair, and only looks for one volume. Anything you don't want moved over with Migration Assistant you should move to a non-standard folder, or better yet, a different drive altogether.