PDA

View Full Version : Virtual What Was That Now?

dobbo
27th June 2005, 10:04 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I just bought an external DVD burner for my mac mini in the hope of backing up my DVDs. Problem is, they won't fit onto a standard blank DVD. Now i've heard of DVD shrink for PC, but i can't find one for Panther.
Someone mentioned to me that i should install Virtual Pc and run the pc version on my mac :blink:
What???!!!

If someone has any suggestions they'd be most appreciated...

macmate
27th June 2005, 11:08 AM
try DVD2one. you have to pay for it. but compressing DVDs kills their quality. i don't see the point and would rather just play my orignal and make sure i look after it.

the_OM
27th June 2005, 11:53 AM
If you have a dual-layer burner you could just buy dual-layer discs and fit them all on one?

There's also Roxio Popcorn which works pretty well also.

danno74
27th June 2005, 07:07 PM
I've backed up some of my DVD's and these are the two programs to use - it doesn't 'kill' the quality at all - the quality difference is barely noticeable. Just make sure you don't copy any DVD's you don't already own :)

Step 1. Mac the Ripper (find this on www.versiontracker.com) - use this program to rip your DVD's to your hard drive.

Step 2. DVD2One (www.dvd2one.com) - use this program to shrink your ripped DVD's down to a size you can burn onto a standard blank DVD-R.

Step 3. You should use Toast to burn your DVD's for the best result.

Happy burning!