PDA

View Full Version : Resolution issues with 30" Dell

pearltech
7th July 2009, 09:17 PM
I bought a 30" Dell to use with my new 15" MacBookPro a few weeks ago. In the preferences the highest listed resolution option is 1280x80. The monitor is capable of 2560x1600, but not listed in resolution choices.

At the Apple store they told me I would not need the dual link adapter for this and the standard $29 adapter (DVI to mini DVI) would be fine.

A call to Dell and 45 minutes later they wanted to know if I was willing to pay a "small fee" to be transferred to a help desk. No thanks, click!

Help, anyone?

bartron
7th July 2009, 09:21 PM
you need the dual link adapter

The monitor will work without one but not at the native resolution.

Mikey
7th July 2009, 10:39 PM
so because it cannot do the full resolution without additional hardware, it resorts to half the resolution. That's pretty disapointing - it can do full resolution on a 24" screen.

The apple website says, "Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors" but doesn't mention other hardware to make this happen.

Keving
7th July 2009, 10:49 PM
Yep. Requires the expensive cable, have it, and it works fine.

I just ordered one of these for my new 30inch dell which as a Displayport slot.

Mini Displayport to Displayport Adapter Cable - Circuit Assembly eStore (http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-to-Displayport-Adapter-Cable.html)

Will be interesting to see if it works, and if it does, if it's better then DVI-I.

macman
7th July 2009, 11:41 PM
I had a similar issue when I recently bought my 30" Cinema Display for my 15" MBP. Sales guy didnt know I needed the additional hardware so my initial response to the poor resolution wasnt good.

Got the adapter and $149 later and I now have smokin resolution and couldnt be happier.

oli
8th July 2009, 12:30 AM
Just buy the bits you need to make it run at the native resolution.

Once you have done so you will not have anything to complain about. :)

*owner of a 30" Dell*