PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Maker VOB files problem

Deirdre
4th July 2009, 02:03 PM
I have a problem reading a video file on the pc that was altered by my macbook.

I've got footage of my grandmother on a video file that was originally on my husband's pc. Before she died I had to transfer some of these files to my mac so that my husband had room on his hard drive to download something. Now that I have sent them back to his pc they cannot be read on his pc. They are showing up as a folder containing: source, jacket p and cache.

My husband said that it was in a 'video ts' file created using windows media maker if that helps.

How do I get them restored to how they were?

Deirdre

Mac Ram
4th July 2009, 03:22 PM
What is the file like on your Mac? Is it a folder or a DVD? How did you transfer the file back to the PC?

Deirdre
4th July 2009, 03:30 PM
Thank you for your reply.

On the mac the file is unreadable, it won't open with any of the available programs - says there's an OS error and that it's not a movie file. It's contained in a folder.

On my mac it's in the same format as it is now on my husband's pc: source, jacket p and cache. When I open it it has a video - sorry a dvd not video and slide file that I cannot access.

So it's changed the format from when I originally moved it to my mac from the pc and won't revert back.

Our computers are linked in the mac hard drive - I moved the video files from and back to the pc through this feature, if this makes sense.

Also, under kind it says VDU DV movie.

I hope this is clear!

Mac Ram
4th July 2009, 04:40 PM
VDU is a Sony Video Disk Unit format (according to the webs). That's not a .ts file - sounds more like something that came straight off a Sony video camera.

Have you tried playing it through QT? If so you may be able to convert it.

Deirdre
4th July 2009, 05:05 PM
Thank you. I'll try that and let you know how it goes!
Cheers!

Deirdre
5th July 2009, 09:10 AM
Unfortunately it didn't work. Keeps saying it isn't a movie file - which it is.
I might try and have my husband explain it, I think I've confused the issue somewhat. When I look at his main pc through my mac it says something different to when I look at his pc directly.

Cheers,
Deirdre

Cybix
5th July 2009, 09:40 AM
Out of the box, the mac cannot play MPEG2. (ts, m2t, m2ts, etc).

Get yourself MPEG Streamclip, or HANDBRAKE, open the file, and export it to MPEG4 (MP4).

Or if you just want to view the file, download VLC to play it.

The MPEG2 component for quicktime costs money ($30 usd i think). I have the component so I can open the TV recordings my PS3 does, and then save them to mp4 for my AppleTV/PS3 to play (using MPEG streamclip)

cheers