PDA

View Full Version : whats the best Email config for mac & iphone?

paulb1977
3rd July 2009, 11:31 AM
feel free to move this mods, i wasnt sure what category to place it in.

I have a Macbook for personal use, a PC with xp @ work (outlook), and a shiny new iphone 3gs. Ive got hotmail currently. Ive had it for so long that i dont want to chnage as its registered to all the fourms and emails i want to get etc.

problem with hotmail is, when i get an email at work duringt the day, even once ive read it, it still comes up in my iphone as a new email and same at home on my mac. And vice versa, say i check an email on my iphone and delete it, it doesnt delete it from the server and pops up on my work and home computers later.

Im looking for the best option. Ill pay for mobileme if need be. Ivce heard good things about Gmail.

advice time. what is the best way to set this all up so i can have email on all 3 and when i delete 1, it updates all the next time i press send/receive.

Alec Fraser
3rd July 2009, 11:33 AM
The problem with hotmail is that you can't set it up as an IMAP mailbox, which is why you can't sync read/unread between different devices accessing the same mailbox.

With MobileMe and GMail you'll be able to do that. With MobileMe you'll get push email to the iPhone.

MrJesseRoss
3rd July 2009, 11:37 AM
What you could do is set up a Gmail account and have Hotmail forward it on, if you don't want to lose your hotmail address. Then have Mail.app and your iPhone access Gmail via IMAP.

Edit: Hotmail doesn't give you the option to forward to Gmail, but Gmail has the option to fetch from Hotmail.

paulb1977
3rd July 2009, 11:39 AM
thanks for the quick responses guys...

so i can set up and Gmail account. and it will "fetch" my hotmail emails.
then if i delete an email on my iphone it updates accross the board?

so whats the advantages of having mobile me?

Lutze
3rd July 2009, 12:10 PM
thanks for the quick responses guys...

so i can set up and Gmail account. and it will "fetch" my hotmail emails.
then if i delete an email on my iphone it updates accross the board?

so whats the advantages of having mobile me?

Alas, deleting on iPhone does not currently sync to other mail clients. It doesn't work the other way around either. (This advice is for Gmail or other IMAP clients.)

I've not tested the mail on my MobileMe system yet.

paulb1977
3rd July 2009, 12:12 PM
thanks for the headz up lutze.

anyone know if mobileme allows this?

Lutze
3rd July 2009, 01:47 PM
thanks for the headz up lutze.

anyone know if mobileme allows this?

I'll set it up - helping a client currently - give me a few minutes okay?

Lutze
3rd July 2009, 02:03 PM
ignore what was posted here... :)

zigzagler
3rd July 2009, 02:16 PM
Hi guys,

What is the advantage of having MobileMe when I'm using Gmail & Mail.app??? Does that mean that I have to forward all my gmails to the new MobileMe account then get it "Push" into my iPhone??? Will "Push" notification be very annoying especially at nite when i sleep?

Also, using PUSH is going to drain my battery very fast isn't it?

(on a totally different topic): anything use Remember The Milk apps for iPhone before??? Any recommendation for GTD apps for both iPhone & MAC??? I almost bought "Things" but it's just too expensive to buy both apps!

Cheers!

Lutze
3rd July 2009, 02:40 PM
Actually - just rechecked after finding that PUSH was not turned on with my iPhone - they sync perfectly and when I mark as read on iPhone it shows as read on the computer.

I think I'll be moving my stuff across to MobileMe now.

scokim
3rd July 2009, 02:56 PM
actually it's not really "push" it's the phone that pulls it from the server at a set interval.

Lutze
3rd July 2009, 03:47 PM
actually it's not really "push" it's the phone that pulls it from the server at a set interval.

Actually - no. It's push.

The original system was btf'd - they have now brought push back and various applications have now enabled push notifications.

paulb1977
3rd July 2009, 05:39 PM
so lets say i move to mobileme... is there anyway of having it grab my hotmail?

paulb1977
6th July 2009, 10:16 AM
anyone?

Lutze
6th July 2009, 10:19 AM
I have gmail get my hotmail. I have gmail forward all mail to MobileMe.

It's long and convoluted - however it does give me a single mailbox ;)

paulb1977
9th July 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Lutze,

any chance you want to let me know the settings u used to get this to work.
I currently have my mobileme set up on PC, MAC & IPHONE. all working well.

i have Gmail fetching my hotmail and all works well.

where im stuped is getting gmail to forward everything to mobileme. what settings did you use?

thanks mate.

iGobbleoff
9th July 2009, 01:59 PM
Alas, deleting on iPhone does not currently sync to other mail clients. It doesn't work the other way around either. (This advice is for Gmail or other IMAP clients.)

I've not tested the mail on my MobileMe system yet.

on my setup it does... my own personal domains are IMAP, i get them on the phone, delete them, it deletes them at home.... same goes for at home... works perfectly.

paulb1977
9th July 2009, 04:44 PM
sorry i should edit that... ive got gmarl forwarding all my new mail to mobileme, but i cant get existing male to migrate across