PDA

View Full Version : Problem Mounting A External Drive

designers_hub
24th June 2005, 05:23 PM
The story:
I formatted a drive on the Windows format using disk utility. I verified and it was fine. I used PsyncX to run a backup. I unmounted (it disappeared from the deskop), so i thought it was unmounted, pulled it out, a window came up (disk may have been corrupted etc), now it will not mount on Mac or Windows. What do I do? I tried a few freeware software from versiontracker.com (imount etc), still doesn't work. They all freeze when trying to connect to the drive.

I used disk warrior and it detected the drive at least and give me:
Unknown Disk: (the disk is called BACKUP)
Directory cannot be rebuilt because the disk format is unsupported.
Directory cannot be rebuilt because this is not a ma...
This disk does not appear on the desktop (correct)
This disk is 9.37BG in size (correct)

Advanced:
Deive ID: disk1
Sectors: 19,640,880
Sector Size: 512 Bytes
File System Type: [unknown]
Model: [unknown]

So what should i do? I think the best thing to do is try to force a format and stick with using the Mac OS X format type or Unix. How do i force a format?

jobe
24th June 2005, 06:07 PM
Disk Utility should do the trick. You could also try to repair the disk/partition using it to before formatting.

designers_hub
24th June 2005, 06:10 PM
Disk utility wont pick it up. keeps freezing.

jobe
24th June 2005, 06:16 PM
well then, assuming the HDD itself is not totally borked (a possibility I guess), take it out of the external case and put in on the IDE bus of either the mac or PC and give it a burl.

designers_hub
24th June 2005, 06:22 PM
The what?

designers_hub
24th June 2005, 06:28 PM
I connected to a windows machine using USB. and it says "The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk1\DR2 was not completed before the time-out period expired."

jobe
24th June 2005, 06:55 PM
do you have a desktop (PC or mac)? Take the HDD out of the external case. Open up the desktop computer and plug the HDD directly into a free port on a ribbon cable comming form a CD/DVD or HDD.

Oh, should have mentioned, you'll need to set the jumper on the front of the HDD to slave if you do the above. Else...

If there is no free port, Unplug the CD/DVD drive and plug the HDD into that (it's only temporary so don't worry). Plug in the power molex connector and fire up the computer.

If you do this correctly, and the HDD still doesn't work then it's borked. If it works then your external USB case "may" be stuffed.