PDA

View Full Version : Imac G3 - Panther or Tiger

MelbourneBen
1st July 2009, 03:36 PM
Hi All,

I'm currently running Tiger on my Imac g3 600mhz with 768MB. It performs quite well for its age but really struggles with most flash video such as youtube even when I download the file and watch it through Quicktime using the Perian Decoder.

Would downgrading to Panther or even 10.2 give me the needed speed increase to be able to watch youtube vids?

Thanks

Ben

Byrd
1st July 2009, 04:08 PM
The issue with flash on G3 CPUs or indeed any PPC chip is that Adobe have done a crap job of the latest release of Flash software for these CPUs. They have essentially introduced poor optimisation for PPC CPUs whilst putting all their efforts into the Intel plugin, which is fair enough, I suppose. I'm having similar issues with my Cube (1.5Ghz G4) which is terrible online for Flash (huge system-wide slowdowns) but if the files are downloaded they are play fine under VLC with no frames dropped.

I'm yet to find a workable solution, somewhere I read about installing the past version of Flash (overwriting the existing new version). I tried this but it wasn't much better. I might try getting an even older version and try that. With your iMac you could try experimenting: downgrade to 10.3 (and update to 10.3.9, but don't update anything else), run Firefox and see if Flash videos are better.

It's getting really frustrating as my Cube does everything I want it to, but the past 6 - 12 months the only thing that makes it unusable is Flash - bloody Adobe! :p

JB

~Coxy
1st July 2009, 04:19 PM
I don't think downgrading will help, really. If you have a spare Firewire hard disk or even an iPod then it might be worth an experiment.

MelbourneBen
2nd July 2009, 09:22 AM
I dont think downgrading to 10.3 will help either but just thought I'd ask in case anybody else had tried.

My Imac will run DVD video and even DIVX at full frame rate - it only struggles with Flash.

I may try downgrading my version of flash player to see if that makes a difference.

Is there a 3rd party alternative to flash player that is any better?

Cheers.