PDA

View Full Version : The key between the X and V stopped working!

uncyherb
1st July 2009, 12:27 PM
Bugger!

The key loated between the x and v - the 'C' (typed thanks to keyboard viewer) has stopped working on my MBP.

I've restarted, zapped the PRAM without luk.

Looking at the keyboard viewer appliation shows no key press being registered when I press that key. Every other key is fine. Plugging in an external keyboard allows that key to be typed via the external, but not the built-in.

Any ideas? Or is this likely to be a physial problem that annot be solved by anything less than a keyboard replaement?

decryption
1st July 2009, 12:37 PM
It's probably a physical issue - visit the Apple Store and let them take care of it. Your machine is under warranty yeah? :D

uncyherb
1st July 2009, 12:40 PM
It's probably a physical issue - visit the Apple Store and let them take care of it. Your machine is under warranty yeah? :D

Nah. :(

Boss is almost ready to upgrade the mahine, so it's a pain this would happen now, rather than a day after I sell it.:footinmouth:

mitty
1st July 2009, 12:48 PM
Your posts are perfectly legible (and funnier) without the offending letter. I'd wait for a few more to fail before shelling out cash for a new one :D

Botox
1st July 2009, 01:49 PM
Check to see if it's hardware or software. Create a new account and see if the offending key works. I've had similar problems with a white Macbook where the space bar has just stopped working under one of the accounts. Works perfectly well in the others though.

Goodbye
1st July 2009, 01:53 PM
Sorry, I don't know which key you're referring to, and it's annoying how you're misspelling words. Can you please refrain from being lazy, and tell us which key it is? :D

Abaddon
1st July 2009, 02:05 PM
What a silly bunt!*

* Apologies to Monty Python.

rocketxr
1st July 2009, 02:28 PM
Maybe someone in the For Sale Forums has something to help you out....

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/22/67936-mbp-spares.html

u98925
1st July 2009, 02:48 PM
How about trying a little percussion maintenance ;)

rocketxr
1st July 2009, 02:52 PM
How about trying a little percussion maintenance ;)

Tried that on a mighty mouse last night that refused to scroll no matter what was done. I was going to buy a new one next week so had nothing to lose and had a 1 metre long steel ruler in my hand and decided to give the mouse a good wack.... and now the scroll ball works!!! :shocked::)

AnthoMac
1st July 2009, 02:55 PM
Your posts are perfectly legible (and funnier) without the offending letter. I'd wait for a few more to fail before shelling out cash for a new one :D

Agreed. I though your title was specifying towards a special keyboard character you couln't type to!

Maybe it has something to do with the keyboard language settings - change it to something else then back to english (US?)

Either that, or use the percussion method as suggested earlier!

dotnet
1st July 2009, 02:56 PM
Meh, just use "s" or "k" instead, as appropriate. "C" is sooo redundant...

Cheers
Steffen.

EMKarelia
2nd July 2009, 05:54 AM
I had the same problem with my MBP. but it was damaged from the outside. I would still recommend you taking your baby to the apple store. Maybe it's something minor.