PDA

View Full Version : Major Bug In iPhone 3.0 - BEWARE!

Tejas
30th June 2009, 07:23 PM
For customers who have upgraded their iPhone to 3.0 software or have purchased a new iPhone 3GS 16GB/32GB there is now a change to the SMS group functionality.
When sending a message to multiple recipients, the message will not be sent as an SMS. It will be sent as an MMS and charged at the applicable MMS rate. This is standard 3.0 software functionality.
We are working with Apple to find a resolution to change this functionality so that users will not be changed MMS rates for group SMS. This change is expected within the coming months.
If customers would like to, they can turn off the MMS functionality through the "settings" menu. This will stop the issue occurring.

mechcon
30th June 2009, 07:27 PM
So do you mean that with the MMS that if I sent the same message to 4 people that I get charged 4x MMS price? or 1x MMS price?

Tejas
30th June 2009, 07:30 PM
So do you mean that with the MMS that if I sent the same message to 4 people that I get charged 4x MMS price? or 1x MMS price?

no, if you send a sms to multiple recipient the 3.0 software sends it as an mms at mms rates

SoVeReIgN
30th June 2009, 07:32 PM
Meh,

I'm not worried because I am on an unlimated sms/mms plan, but if I was I would be hitting up my telco -
They have provided you with a phone/product that is clearly faulty, it's not your problem to cover any extra charges that arise through it's use. They can chase Apple not you. :)

melbmac
30th June 2009, 07:58 PM
And if you reply it goes back to everyone on the original list...

semaja2
30th June 2009, 08:24 PM
IT IS NOT A BUG

The reason for this is because 4 SMS becomes 1 MMS aka CHEAPER!!!!

mitty
30th June 2009, 08:26 PM
IT IS NOT A BUG

The reason for this is because 4 SMS becomes 1 MMS aka CHEAPER!!!!

Um, yes it is. If you send one SMS it goes at the price of an SMS. If you send the same SMS to more than one person, the iphone treats it as an MMS and so you get charged the MMS price PER PERSON.

Apple have actually acknowledged the problem and it will probably be fixed in a future software update.

rickyd
30th June 2009, 08:27 PM
I learnt this the hard way.

When I sent a group text message to about 20 contacts, it was sent through as 20 MMSs. The other bitch about this is some of my contacts' phones do not support/read MMSs.

Ricky.

Exocet
30th June 2009, 08:27 PM
Already being discussed here:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/66590-mutiple-mms.html?highlight=group+recipient