PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight - Do you use it?

woody993
30th June 2009, 10:22 AM
I think spotlight is a great idea, but I just don't use it. So I really wanted to know if anyone actually uses it properly.

pwnT
30th June 2009, 10:23 AM
I haven't used it, but I do use the mail search a lot! ;D

ps, Make a poll =]
edit: I'm an idiot...

mitty
30th June 2009, 10:26 AM
Definitely use it to find music. Much quicker than scrolling through lists, especially now I have a 32gb 3GS and have about 5000 tracks on it! also for contacts.

It's definitely the best feature of OS 3.0.

eaglesteve2
30th June 2009, 10:52 AM
The search is fantastic. I use it to quick launch an application sometimes. I also find my mail with it (do you know that it will even find you mails that you have deleted not just from your inbox but also cleared out of th trash bin? And once you display it, you can restore it back?), play my favourite song by typing in either the Artist name or specific name of the song. There are other usage which I have not really got into yet, but the above are the main things I use it for at the moment.

SilverJ
30th June 2009, 10:57 AM
Home screen I use the spotlight sometimes, great feature.
As far as contacts and iPod go, I just use the letters down the right hand side as it's faster.

Exocet
30th June 2009, 10:58 AM
I use it in apps and on the home screen

Cybix
30th June 2009, 11:00 AM
use it almost exclusively to launch apps

gehenna
30th June 2009, 11:03 AM
i use it as a search tool and app launcher.

DaveOZ
30th June 2009, 11:05 AM
Feck yeah. All the time. Fastest way for me to launch apps not in my dock and find files. Always using it in mail too.

Edit: ooops, just noticed this is a specific iPhone thread. Yes, use it on there too.

oooops
30th June 2009, 11:16 AM
great for finding songs......

gameon
30th June 2009, 11:51 AM
awesome for searching through work emails, and i also keep track of orders in ical
so i can just type in a purchase order number and it finds it for me

don't know how i lived without it

Reubania
30th June 2009, 11:55 AM
Don't use it. I guess with contacts/songs - the "scrolling" method has been ingrained in me. Don't mind doing it.

woody993
30th June 2009, 12:14 PM
Feck yeah. All the time. Fastest way for me to launch apps not in my dock and find files. Always using it in mail too.

Edit: ooops, just noticed this is a specific iPhone thread. Yes, use it on there too.
Totally agree with you there. My most used shortcut is Command+Space

reemixx
30th June 2009, 12:58 PM
I don't use it much, but it's definitely a welcome addition. The most useful purpose for me so far has been searching for specific songs. Much quicker to do it with Spotlight on the home screen rather than going into the iPod app itself, unless you're in there already.

It's also good for searching for contacts quickly, when I need to make an edit, or someone asks if I have such-and-such's number. Tap a letter or two, and whammo.

Haven't used it much for emails. Don't really have a reason to as I tend to sort my mail in folders and know exactly where I keep everything. I will remember what folder it's in much easier than I'll remember what to search for in an email.

It is kind of interesting how much you realise you need something once you've got it. Before 3.0, it wasn't something most people had a real desire for. At least, no-one was crying out for it like everyone was for copy-paste.

Angsty
30th June 2009, 01:15 PM
Home screen, recently started to use it. Kinda annoyed when I have the exact file name and it gives me back 50+ results, including my files :(

wish it had a "find duplicates" like iTunes does....

johnq
30th June 2009, 01:15 PM
I use it all the time, both on the mac and on the iPhone. Easily the quickest way to find anything (including apps) once you get into the habit of using it.

Mecha
30th June 2009, 01:42 PM
Not really but I like that it's there.

SoVeReIgN
30th June 2009, 04:30 PM
Not really but I like that it's there.

Agreed