PDA

View Full Version : Ibook Performance Enhancers

ETHERSPIN
23rd June 2005, 10:38 PM
Hi guys,ive tried onyx but couldnt really set any options to better performance than thedefault ibook settings , are there any utils to speed up performance of these by turning some settings down, e.g. turning some transparency off or some other effects??

James
24th June 2005, 08:51 AM
If it's a G3 there's iCook which boosts CPU by10%:

http://www.swieskowski.net/icook/

Works well!

ETHERSPIN
24th June 2005, 12:52 PM
its a g4 , has just the built in 256mb at the mo for ram, whats the main bottleneck for the OS performance, would that be the fact that its a 1.2ghz(or 1.3 i cant remember!!) g4 processor or that theres only 256mb of ram... or option c , is it the 32mb video card ??

zillatron
24th June 2005, 01:09 PM
I'm no expert - but 512mb or RAM will help.
The more the better, if you can afford it.

I have a 1.2ghz 12", 512mb and 10.4- it runs safari, mail ,ical full time in 2 logged in profiles over 4 desktops in each (desktop manager is so cool...) seems fine and 'fast' to me!

is it the 32mb video card
That will start to be a problem if you run the screen spanning hack, then try and expose` half a dozen windows on 2 screens.

:thumbup:
Z

Phillip
24th June 2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by ETHERSPIN@Jun 24 2005, 12:52 PM
its a g4 , has just the built in 256mb at the mo for ram, whats the main bottleneck for the OS performance, would that be the fact that its a 1.2ghz(or 1.3 i cant remember!!) g4 processor or that theres only 256mb of ram... or option c , is it the 32mb video card ??
The major bottleneck there would the RAM and the hard drive.

You should upgrade the memory to at least 512MB or even better, 768 MB. Your iBook has 1 slot to put memory in (under the keyboard) and built in 256 MB RAM. Put in an extra 256 MB to take the machine up to 512 MB or put another 512 MB to take the machine up to 768 MB.

The hard drive you can't upgrade. But if you are working in say, Photoshop, then that's a big bottleneck there. The hard drives are slow in the iBook compared to say, a desktop computer.

For general use, just upgrade the RAM and the iBook will be great. :)

Byrd
24th June 2005, 02:48 PM
Your biggest bottleneck ETHERSPIN is without a doubt having a paltry amount of RAM, ie. 256MB of it. With enough RAM (768MB or 1GB is desirable for such a machine), you won't have to thrash the hard disk as much to create virtual memory, which as you probably know is thousands of times slower than hardware RAM.

An iBook at ~ 1.2Ghz like yours, with enough RAM, should be very responsive for all but the most intensive apps and games. The 32MB graphics card isn't too bad either (ATI 9200), it's not Core Image supported but all GUI operations should be quite smooth. I've an iBook 600 - with an 8MB graphics card and 576MB RAM - and all Finder operations are acceptable, surprising at times too :)

JB

gelfie
24th June 2005, 03:05 PM
Absolutely. 512MB of ram will make a world of difference to this machine. Its disgusting that apple sells it with any less.

ETHERSPIN
24th June 2005, 07:52 PM
righto guys.. thanks , i'll see which is more attractive (price wise!!) out of the extra 256mb and the 512 when im in melbourne next week .. cheers :D

James
24th June 2005, 08:23 PM
It's no big deal to swap the standard hard drive for something bigger and faster.

You can pay Apple to do it for you (!) or you can do it yourself, though you may void your warranty. It's easier with the G4 as you don't have to remove the bottom shell.

I replaced the standard 30GB drive in my G4 iBook with a 60GB Hitachi 7200 recently. It's fiddly - you have to keep track of which screws go where - and it took an hour but the boost in performance was worth the effort.

B)

applecollector
1st July 2005, 11:15 AM
What about if you have a Powerbook G3 rev 2???? Running OS 9.2.2 are there any enhancers?