PDA

View Full Version : Startup Network

hawker
23rd June 2005, 09:14 PM
When I boot up my iMac, on startup, I have it mount two network drives from my G4 server that is on all the time. These drives are 120GB and 40GB - anyway, the thing that is annoying me, is that when it boots and mounts the drives, it asks for a username and password (for that machine) - I don't want it to do this.

Also, when it accepts the username and password and mounts the drives, it displays root windows for both of these drives. Anyway to stop that?

neilrobinson
23rd June 2005, 09:31 PM
their should be a an option to add the password & username to the keychain. If not just add it manually! ;)

neil

Currawong
24th June 2005, 05:19 AM
I haven't played with this for a while, but you should be able to share not the drive, but a folder within the drive as a server share point.

purana
24th June 2005, 11:14 AM
You can create a dir on both drives (and then share this folder out as the root to other machines). That's possible, but you may have to use sharepoint or vi the smb.conf manually :)

Disko
24th June 2005, 11:30 AM
hawker, here's a tip ;)

System Prefs > Accounts > You > Login Items

Then go to the top level of your directories in finder so you can see the network volumes that have been mounted, then drag them into the login items.

There is another way to do this - but we'll see if this one works first.

Disko
24th June 2005, 11:39 AM
Scratch that. You want it to stop asking you for a login - (though keychain should remember the pass?)

Either way, try this:

Type into your address bar in safari: afp://username:password@ipaddress/sharename (and substitute the info for your own)

Then drag that to the desktop. That will create a URL to that share. Store the URL somewhere on your computer that is out of the way - and drag it to the login items in your account prefs.

Thats the one that works for me. :)