PDA

View Full Version : Hd Upgrade

overway
23rd June 2005, 09:04 PM
I'm looking at upgrading the HD of my 15" PowerBook. Originally it came with a 80 gig 4200rpm drive but I'd really love a 100 gig 7200rpm drive both for the increase in size and speed.
Now for the help I need. Could a PowerBook owner please head over to here:
http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00015497
buy the drive listed, pull apart their PowerBook and then tell me how it went before I lay down the time and money? ;) If you can't do that maybe if you could post your interest in the upgrade and maybe I could be convinced to try this. Or if anyone has experience upgrading the HD in their PowerBook it would be much appreciated if you have any tips before I do it.

Edge
23rd June 2005, 09:34 PM
Which model of PB is it?

The TiBook is relatively straightforward to replace the drive. Only tool you'll need is a Torx T-8 screwdriver if memory serves. You remove the battery, then 8-10 screws from the bottom cover which comes off easily. The hard drive is easily accessible; remove one screw (on the 667 VGA model anyway) and gently prise off the IDE connector from the motherboard (after unsticking the clear yellow Klapton tape). The hard drive lifts out easily. Remove the protective (paper) shield, then the four mounting screws and their rubber grommets. Ta da. Substitute in the new drive and retrace your steps.

Is the new Momentus 100GB 7200rpm readily available yet? I didn't think so. In any case, I'm not sure whether it is taller than your stock 80GB drive. I know some iBooks have trouble if the HD is too tall, but it shouldn't be a problem in the PowerBook.

Performance wise, you would notice a real difference stepping up from a 4200rpm to a 7200rpm. It would also generate a lot more heat.

Just a few things to consider. The more info the better for such an expensive upgrade.

macmate
23rd June 2005, 09:50 PM
i do this every couple of days. you void warranty unless an authorised apple dealer does it. but otherwise it can be tricky but not all that hard (well maybe thats just because i have done it so many times) you should try to get the take apart manual for your model and have a look before you decide to do it.

overway
23rd June 2005, 10:42 PM
The model is 15" 1.25 Ghz with 512Mb Ram and as mentioned above 80 gig HD. I do like to think I am "qualified" enough to pull this thing apart having looked at the guide here:
http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/54.8.0.html
The notebook is out of warranty (time will tell if I saved $500) so this is not an issue. A lot of people bring up heat as a problem but from what I can find through google no one has had a problem directly attributed to heat. A 100 gig 7200 rpm sure sounds nice but, macmate, if you've done this specific upgrade I would sure like to know if it went OK. I'm happy to spend the money if compatability is not an issue from previous experience.
I'm hoping a 1.25 Ghz, 1.25 gig memory, 100 gig 7200 rpm PowerBook will last me till the Intel Rev 2 PowerBooks become available ( 2 years maybe)??

macmate
23rd June 2005, 10:53 PM
the only thing i can really think to look out for is the height of the drive. you will of course get less battery life.

your model is not too bad to take apart. just make sure you use the right tools.

Kildare
23rd June 2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Jun 23 2005, 10:50 PM
i do this every couple of days...
And I though I was special. :P

Going 4,200RPM -> 5,400RPM in my iBook certainly helped & didn't really seem to affect battery life. Not sure how much extra you'd gain / lose from a 7,200RPM.

macmate
24th June 2005, 12:06 AM
you are special!

i meant i open the laptops up for upgrades and/or repairs every few days (well every day actually).

:D