PDA

View Full Version : What are "Keychains"?

Lasha
21st June 2004, 06:21 AM
I heard a couple of people talking about Keychains on Macs somewhere. I have no idea what they are so, I was wondering if you guys here could enlighten me. :)

decryption
21st June 2004, 09:23 AM
It's a collection of passwords.
if you go into the utilities section of your Apps folder, there is a Keychain manager that lists all the passwords you've entered in your Mac via the web or applications.
It's rather handy...

Lasha
21st June 2004, 10:17 AM
Oh okay. What happens if all the keychains are deleted from your hard drive?

Disko
21st June 2004, 10:26 AM
... then you'd have to re enter your password(s) ?

Lasha
21st June 2004, 10:28 AM
Oh, okay. The reason I asked was because this guy booted his Mac up and all of his Keychains were deleted. He said that programs were running very awkwardly. Hmm...I guess getting them deleted isn't that bad.

Currawong
22nd June 2004, 10:24 AM
Many programs, you'll find, such as Safari, will ask you if you want to store passwords in the Keychain. It's handy, as the keychain file is encrypted, but having the feature saves you having to type passwords into your mail program, web browser etc etc.

I have found that having a bloated keychain, full of many passwords, does slow things down. I imagine having no keychain would result in some programs getting confused though.

Lasha
22nd June 2004, 11:28 AM
Yea, that's exactly what happened to his Mac! He said his Mac was going crazy and that his programs were acting up!