PDA

View Full Version : MBP 'P' key not working

OziMac
27th June 2009, 10:18 AM
My original Core Duo MacBook Pro (now clearly out of warranty) has a strange issue - the 'P' key does not work. All the other keys are fine.

I have tried updating the software - fwiw, the issue first occurred in 10.5.6 and persists in 10.5.7. I have tried resetting the PRAM (unsuccessfully of course!), and the 'Caps lock' method that has been posted elsewhere (my 'P' does not work even in caps lock).

Any ideas?

(Yes I am typing this from another computer on which the 'P' key clearly works!). :)

ClockWork
27th June 2009, 10:23 AM
First thing I'd try - if you have another keyboard, plug that via USB into your MBP, and see if the P key works from an external keyboard.

OziMac
27th June 2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry, should have mentioned - yes, it does work on an external keyboard.

ClockWork
27th June 2009, 10:37 AM
Shut it down and power it up?

OziMac
27th June 2009, 10:47 AM
Done, several times. :(

I've taken most basic troubleshooting procedures, including powering it off, updating software, trying the steps listed on Apple's site for malfunctioning keyboards and the caps lock trick I noted above.

Is it a normal thing for one key to simply cease to work?

ClockWork
27th June 2009, 10:49 AM
Time to have ze keyboard replaced.

(Hardware issue).

mitty
27th June 2009, 10:51 AM
Not sure if there's anyway you can take the key off? There may just be a bit of dust or grit stuck underneath it or something. Does it feel different to the other keys?

incanspyder
27th June 2009, 12:03 PM
I had the same thing with my iMac keyboard (see old posts re. this issue).. although in my case the R key only worked without caps. I went to Apple, who made me do everything you've already done (pram, smc, etc) and then suggested i do an archive and install in case the en-AU or whatever keyboard file was corrupt. However, this didn't solve the issue. What's more surprising is that the keyboard worked fine on Apple computers on the genius bar so I looked like a fool. However, this problem went by itself for some reason after I rebooted a few times and installed leopard again, but it has now come back. The hting with mine is that the Mac won't recognise any boot sequences from that keyboard either, so maybe you should see if that's working? I guess obviously if you reset pram with that keyboard it does... hmm

Beau
27th June 2009, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you've got a roblem! :p

Tried an archive and install? Or changing your keyboard settings (from AU to US or something)?

dche5390
27th June 2009, 10:49 PM
This thread reminds me of P-P-P Powerbook (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/)! That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the thread title.

EMKarelia
28th June 2009, 03:51 AM
How long have you had your computer? You might of did some internal damage to the computer. It's common in old macs.

ClockWork
28th June 2009, 10:10 AM
It's common in old macs.

If a maximum of 3 years is "old", my setup must have incubated through the last ice age.