PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook And Skype

shtan72
22nd June 2005, 07:55 PM
I've got a new 12inch PB.I know there's an inbuilt microphone. Is it possible to use skype as is without having to buy a seperate microphone? Has anyone tried skype and is it really that good?

mvjs
22nd June 2005, 07:59 PM
Yes, you can use the internal microphone for Skype, seemlisly

dangelovich
22nd June 2005, 08:01 PM
Skype will use the inbuilt microphone.
Whether it is good or not depends on your internet connection I think...

zeddie2001
22nd June 2005, 08:01 PM
I have never tried using the inbuilt speaker on my iBook for skype, but I can tell you that the internal microphone is really bad. I tried to use it for basic dictation, and that didn't work. Then I tried a Speech --> Text app and it didn't work at all. I really would reccomend splurging $50 and buying a good USB microphone. A Bluetooth headset would also be a good alternative if you have a Bluetooth phone.

Kildare
22nd June 2005, 08:02 PM
Worked fine with the int mic on my iBook. Great pickup.
What's wrong with yours?

Exocet
22nd June 2005, 08:14 PM
Just need to get a pair of headphones to use skype, otherwise you'll end up with your friend's voice being echoed back through the microphone.

shtan72
22nd June 2005, 08:21 PM
I do have a bluetrek bluetooth headset which I never use with phone. So you mean I can use it on my powerbook to skype? How would I pair it to the PB?

Ozi
22nd June 2005, 11:31 PM
The inbuilt mike works fine with Skype on my 15"... just so long as i dont talk too loud. I agree that headphones are better though. :) Cuts out any echoing as mentioned.

shtan72: you should be able to use System Preferences/Bluetooth to pair the headset with your pBook, and then use System Preferences/Sound/Input to choose the headset. I don't have a headset to experiment with, but I imagine it would be that simple. :)

spargo
23rd June 2005, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Ozi@Jun 22 2005, 02:31 PM
The inbuilt mike works fine with Skype on my 15"... just so long as i dont talk too loud. I agree that headphones are better though. :) Cuts out any echoing as mentioned.
I agree with Ozi - I use the internal microphone, but to avoid feedback/echoing I use my headphones for the output..

it works fine.. i'm sure the internal mike isn't the best quality but it does the trick for Skype..

pipsqeek
23rd June 2005, 07:59 AM
If you bother to look in the Skype Preferences, there is an echo cancellation setting.

This actually works pretty well.

I have used Skype with my 12" G3 iBook and 14" G4 iBook, and both have been really good.

Skype hasn't been too bad, it will run on lowly computers. But the thing that makes the quality of the tranmission good is your net connection speed.

pipsqeek

JimWOz
23rd June 2005, 08:17 AM
I agree with Spargo & Pipsqueek.
Skype works fine on my 15 inch PB.
I just use the int mic and PB speakers.
I have a cable modem connection, Skype seems to pull about 5K/sec each way, so you might get some delays with dialup.
I use the echo cancellation option in Skype prefs too, and have been told by the person on the other end of the line that it makes a difference.
A lot of people do use USB mics and headphones though, but I haven't felt a need to improve my basic setup.