PDA

View Full Version : Battery Cycle Query - 13" MBP

incanspyder
26th June 2009, 01:13 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a 13.3" mbp yesterday evening. Now, the question is that my istat counter already shows that my charge cycles are "2" even though I've charged it once.. also, I used to have another mb bought back in 2007 with charge cycles of 300 or so over 2 years when i sold it (health was still 99%).. is this normal, because I see you people with cycles of like 100-200 over 3 years or so and I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Also, my new MBP battery is only giving me around 3-4 hours with wifi on and nothing else whereas it should give at least 5-7 right? I know nothing about batteries. I've read the Apple Battery site and other forum posts but they don't seem to be helping.

dche5390
26th June 2009, 01:35 PM
my new MBP battery is only giving me around 3-4 hours with wifi on and nothing else whereas it should give at least 5-7 right? I know nothing about batteries. I've read the Apple Battery site and other forum posts but they don't seem to be helping.

As with all things with batteries, the advertised rating is PR spin. I am sure if you turn screen brightness to 15%, turn off BT, turn off Wifi and let the MBP sit there (but not go into sleep mode), sure, 7 hours is achievable.

Once you have wifi enabled, anything with more than 50% screen brightness, and when the CPU is actually doing something, battery life gets consumed pretty damn fast.

Don't bother with trying to get 5-7hours. Its not that your battery is a lemon nor that it isn't calibrated properly - it simply will NOT achieve the advertised because its the real world where you and I actually use the bloody machine.

incanspyder
26th June 2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks - I thought as much but I was more interested in my high cycle count on both this one and the other one.. it's just weird.

dche5390
26th June 2009, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned with high cycle counts. Its the reported battery life (and the charge it can hold) that is probably of much more importance.

High cycle just means its gets used alot as a notebook, as opposed to a desktop replacement (like mine).

Can't shed any light on the actual method OS X calculates cycle counts. I'm not too phased by it.

incanspyder
26th June 2009, 01:47 PM
Ah.. thanks!