PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Pricing Announced for the US

craigc
26th June 2009, 10:44 AM
For those who are interested, here is the pricing for Windows 7 for the US:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/pricing.asp

All of a sudden the pricing for Snow Leopard looks like the bargain of the century. When will Microsoft learn?

dolbinau
26th June 2009, 11:00 AM
These prices seem pretty reasonable. $120 for most people..Windows 7 is a greater improvement over Vista than Snow Leopard is over Leopard, and besides Apples/Oranges anyway [no pun intended] since it's almost like Apple are subsidising the cost via the sales of their hardware.

craigc
26th June 2009, 11:07 AM
These prices seem pretty reasonable. $120 for most people..Windows 7 is a greater improvement over Vista than Snow Leopard is over Leopard, and besides Apples/Oranges anyway [no pun intended] since it's almost like Apple are subsidising the cost via the sales of their hardware.

I don't agree. Windows 7 is really evolutionary to Vista, as Snow Leopard is to Leopard. The difference is the evolution for Windows is from something crap to something reasonable, whereas the evolution for OS X is from something great to something even better.

The fact that Vista is substandard is even more of a reason for Microsoft to provide affordable upgrade options (at least to Vista users) to move to Windows 7.

Also, what Microsoft misses out on in terms of hardware sales, they more than make up on in volume. They are just greedy buggers.

Bart Smastard
26th June 2009, 02:38 PM
Have AU prices for Snow Leopard upgrade been announced? I can't find anything on the intertubes or on MT.

Lutze
26th June 2009, 02:45 PM
Have AU prices for Snow Leopard upgrade been announced? I can't find anything on the intertubes or on MT.

For the US it's going to be $30 for the upgrade to SL from L.

That *should* rock prices to ~$50 here.

Bart Smastard
26th June 2009, 02:49 PM
For the US it's going to be $30 for the upgrade to SL from L.

That *should* rock prices to ~$50 here.

But no official prices yet?
What's taking Apple AU so long? Were they waiting to see what MS would do?

MissionMan
26th June 2009, 03:29 PM
I tend to agree with those who say its unreasonable. The only reason Windows 7 is that good is because you're comparing it to Vista which is really bad.

Snow Leopard is better than Windows 7, and yet we all don't think its anything spectacular because Leopard is a good product.

The_Hawk
26th June 2009, 03:34 PM
Australian Pricing:

Official: Windows 7 Australian pricing announced, see how it compares to Vista - News - PC Authority (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/148599,official-windows-7-australian-pricing-announced-see-how-it-compares-to-vista.aspx)

AvvY
26th June 2009, 04:11 PM
Wow I have to say Windows is rather expensive. Sure it is the major software component of a PC, it is still a lot of money to fork out - any idea of OEM price? The last time I purchased a Windows product was an OEM copy of XP Home SP1a which I recall was about $120 or so. I'm actually rather keen on getting a PC running 7, but I'm not sure I could justify so much. I guess it doesn't impact so much if upgrading or buying a pre-packaged system (Dell,HP, etc).

dolbinau
26th June 2009, 05:25 PM
I personally don't think Windows is as bad as Apple or many Apple users say it is, after using the release candidate I would happily pay the cost; I suppose it doesn't seem as reasonably priced as Snow Leopard but I can't remember the price of Vista being this cheap when it was released so at least it's an improvement.

I hope in the next keynote they can come up with some better/more genuine reasons of why Windows is so bad.

MissionMan
26th June 2009, 05:33 PM
I think most of the Windows comments were aimed at Vista, not Windows 7